Premed 101 Forums

Mac and USMLE

Has anyone done it before? When do you usually do it? Is it possible to study during elective time?

Is it easy for Canadian students to get into competitive residencies in the US, like radiology?

I heard people usually do it during their second year when they're on family or psych rotations... or some people write it after 3rd year just to pass it in order to do fellowships in the states

Not easy... US schools care A LOT about where you got your medical education.

Not easy... US schools care A LOT about where you got your medical education.

You can write the USMLE out of order for Step 1 and 2. Means that writing Step 2 CK first around MCCQE Part 1 is reasonable, and should you need the time (knowing the lack of time of Mac has), you could do Step 1 in the downtime prior to residency. Step 1 is a lot of minutiae from all the basic sciences, but the medical sciences stuff should be reinforced from your Step 2 studying making writing it bearable.

As for caring A LOT about med ed location, I met a number of residents & fellows at Mayo who were from run of the mill state schools as well as DO schools even, so I don't think I could endorse that statement.

As for caring A LOT about med ed location, I met a number of residents & fellows at Mayo who were from run of the mill state schools as well as DO schools even, so I don't think I could endorse that statement.

Depends what speciality and where, but mainly competitive specialties. If you wanted derm at jhu and are from a "run of the mill med school" then it's gonna be a lot harder than if you graduated from a more well known med school. But again this is all information I've gathered talking with friends who are currently ms or pgy in the us... Take it as you will.

Has anyone done it before? When do you usually do it? Is it possible to study during elective time?

Is it easy for Canadian students to get into competitive residencies in the US, like radiology?

I believe Dr. Ian Wong did his radiology residency in the US after completing his MD at UBC. He's usually not around these days though, so it may be hard to get hold of him.

I think the competition pretty much dep on which school you are gunning for. Residency at top schools are always competitive even among Americans, so don't expect it to be EASY for Canadian graduates.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I had no idea we can write the Steps out of order. Does anyone know if writing Step 2 before Step 1 would be more difficult? Or is there generally no overlap between subject material?

I'm not interested in getting into a super competitive residency, just a mediocre one will do. I'm just hoping not to have to go unmatched or go into family. Sorry, by easy I mean not impossibly hard. :o

The Step 2 CK content is a whole review of clerkship. Step 1 is like a whole review of pre-clerkship with some added MCAT bio level questions. Get your hands on a First Aid for USMLE book for both Step 1 and 2 CK to see the type of content expected for each.

If you plan on trying to do a US residency, the NRMP has data out on scores from successful and unsuccessful US grads and "independent" grads per specialty. They do use the Steps as markers for competitiveness. If you will apply to the US, you should have Step 1 complete. If your Step 1 score isn't terribly competitive for you, writing Step 2 CK should be considered.

It does seem like competitive specialities look at med school reputation, but it really only applies to US schools. Canadian schools are all treated as equally no-name, unless you're from UBC, UT, or McGill. According to Dr. Ian Wong:

Also, unfortunately, most US programs know very little about Canadian programs (they all seem to think McGill is the best school in Canada, some have heard of UBC and U of T, and pretty much all the other Canadian schools are entirely unknown to them). This makes it tough to establish any amount of "street credibility", because medical school reputation definitely counts in getting interviews for residency.

Ian

You never know...That quote was 2008. When I was at Mayo for an elective, most of my attendings knew my school (Manitoba). When interviewing in the US to get into med school, my U/G school (Waterloo) seemed to be recognized.

Edit: There are a lot of Canadian grads south of the border too, which helps. As an example with Mayo again, the current CEO is a Dal grad; my evaluator did med school at UBC.

Archived