Premed 101 Forums

MUN interview-how do you know it went well?

Guest sneakydog

Guest sneakydog

Just had my interview at MUN. The day was great, the tour was interesting and the people were nice and helpful. My interview was late in the day and went over an hour. i had both male and female interviewers. The interviewers seemed to ask a provided set of questions and actually looked at a printed sheet a few times before they asked. The interview was broken down into 3 parts, before, cuurrent and future in which the questions were on a broad set of topics but focused on one of these times. For example, what are problems that doctors have had to deal with currently. and then later on i was asked about future concerns in health care. One interviewer seemed very interested in my answers and built alot of their personal questions off of my answers (probably why we went 20 minutes over time) and the other person took very few notes and seemed less interested in what i had to say. Both interviewers were nice and made the interview time pretty easy for me. I hope this helps anyone with a MUN interview in the next few weeks. I am posting it here cause i was wondering if i could get some feedback regarding how to get a feel on how the interview went and plus you cant post on interviewfeedback.com. After the interview the interviewers walked me back to the main office and we spoke some more on off topic subjects and i learned a little about who they were. i dont know if anyone could tell how their interview went but any comments on after interview feelings for people who got in and those who were rejected from any school might help.

any comments or questions

SD

Guest lots of thinking

I'm sure that it went just fine.

Its a great sign that it went over the hour. That shows they were interested enough to keep asking questions.

I think that its really hard to ever really know how an interview goes (because in my humble opinion) it really comes down to how the interviewers liked you. Although its not supposed to be subjective, its hard not to be (they are people with opinions and certain likes and dislikes).

I find that after any interview (no matter what kind) I go through it afterwards and always find things I could have said better or differently- but that isn't going to help you get into med.....

I don't know if this helps you or answers your question,

but if they liked you, thought you were intellignet and interesting (which obviously they did to a degree if they were chatting with you when it was over), it all sounds good.

goodluck,

M

Guest iamsmilingbear

Sneakydog,

First, it sounds like you had a good experience, I hope everything works out for you. :) I think it's really hard to tell how you did in your interview. Yet as long as you have tried your best and found good signs from it, don't worry about it. I believe that fact that you feel they are interested in you is good enough. Just stop thinking about it and wish the best! (don't be like me, I've been thinking about my U of A interview for almost a whole week already...sigh).

Second, thanks for your post. I'll be heading to MUN next thursday. Can you tell me more about what kind of questions they asked? Did they ask you things about rural practice? Is there anything related to MUN that I should particularly aware of? How should I prepare for it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Cheers, iamsmilingbear

(By the way, are you an OOP applicant or are you from the maritimes provinces?)

Guest iamsmilingbear

And, do you know how many OOP they are accepting, and how many they are interviewing?

I only know that there are 60 spots for first-year entry!

Guest sneakydog

hey,

i do not know how many oop apps they are accepting. there are 60 spots, 40 are definitely for newfoundland & Labrador apps, 12 are for maritime apps. that leaves 8 spots that are up for grabs with all of canada and the lucrative american market. I know that there are 4 americans in one of the classes now. there used to be alot of canadian spots but then the Nf govt made a deal with the NB govt for 10 spots. i think it is because we have a med school and they ahve a law school and they swap seats that way to allow for accessability. I think they are interviewing 250-300 applicants but i am not sure. this might help explain the school some more

www.acmc.ca/AdmissionBook/MEMweb.html

i had a lot of questions on problems in medical care. rural medicine came up in my interview but i spoke with someone else and they did not talk much about it. i would definitely have some knowledge about it and the problems facing it. there was no questions related to MUN it self. they give you a tour and pretty much tell you alot obout the school and give you the oportunity to ask them questions. I hate to say it but to prepare for the interview know your self and dont lie. i spoke with a few people who have been around for a while and they told me that these people have been interviewing for a long time and will know if you are genuine. most of the questions were about me and how i would handle different situations. they asked about a situation and then asked questions based on my answer. so it is tough to prepare for it but if you are calm and know yourself you will be fine.

a bit of advice on the travel, pack light and only take carryon luggage. if AC loses your bags (and there is a good chance they will) you will be stuck with what you wore on the plane. I heard many stories like this.

Hope this helps

SD

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey Sneakydog:

Can you tell us your stats. I hear it is tough to get an interview at Memorial, so it is a good sign that you made it that far!

Guest sneakydog

my GPA is 3.5 and my MCAT is 30R. MUN bases their interviews on a cut off avg that is calculated yearly. They also read all NF apps for content if they do not meet the cut offs. I have heard that the cut offs are 4.0 GPA and 30 on mcat but i dont know how reliable that is. Anyone not from NF that does not meet the cutoffs i think is out of luck. but i could be wrong. Yes i am happy that i got an interview as in my mind it says they have deemed me academically fit to attend the school and handle the curriculum. so now all i do is wait for 2 months.

hope that helps

SD

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey Sneakydog,

Thanks a bundle for your advice! I'm going to travel with AC...yup, I'll remember not to bring any check-in luggages! Thanks again! ;)

Are you from NF? So is MUN your first choice?

I'm not from NF, so I can tell you that their cut-offs are definitely not a 4.0 GPA! :P

Anyway, best wishes!

Archived