Premed 101 Forums

Religious Discussion during interview

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there:

It is my understanding that if you place on your essay or autobio submission that you worked/studied/volunteered at any religious-based organization/institution that it is free game for discussion on behalf of your interviewers.

My question is, to what extent can this be considered fair and transparent and at what point can one perceive that interviewers are being discriminatory or tougher on self-proclaimed "religious" candidates?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Guest Chieka

Macdaddy, I have similar concerns. I think they can ask you about the activity, but not about your religious convictions, unless it's involved in the activity. For example, say you volunteer in your (Baptist) church nursery: I figure they can ask you about what you learned, team relationships etc. I don't think they can ask you why you didn't volunteer at a Pentecostal church or something.

In contrast, say you volunteered with a Catholic Pro-Life organization: I think the questions will go beyond how it was like to work with others to how your ethical convictions will affect a career in medicine.

I think this is what it's like. Maybe current med students can comment further.

Also, once you bring up religion in the interview, it's fair game. Remember that, when considering what you want to discuss and what you'd rather keep private.

Take care,

C.

Archived