Premed 101 Forums

US Residencies recognised in Canada

I'm looking for a discussion on the various US residencies that are recognised in Canada. Both anecdotal and real evidence would be great.

From my research:

Family Medicine seems to be fairly straight forward and is usually accepted

EM is more difficult. US training is 3 years and apparently the Royal College require people to have an extra 2 years of training to make up for it. Where would one get these two years? Do fellowships count?

Interested in your views/experience on these and other specialities.

You need to carefully research the field you're interested in before leaving. I know for a fact that neurology is not recognized... Internal mediicine will not give you a right to practice here after 3 years (as in the US - you need at least one year, and probably 2 by the time you finish of extra training ). Anesthesia is not recognized in the states (I heard from a resident in that field). Problem is is that residencies are sometimes not the same duration, which can complicate recognition.

I'm looking for a discussion on the various US residencies that are recognised in Canada. Both anecdotal and real evidence would be great.

From my research:

Family Medicine seems to be fairly straight forward and is usually accepted

EM is more difficult. US training is 3 years and apparently the Royal College require people to have an extra 2 years of training to make up for it. Where would one get these two years? Do fellowships count?

Interested in your views/experience on these and other specialities.

The Royal College is very strict about requirements. Not only about the years, but the content of the years. No one should ever count on the Royal college to accept their credentials from anywhere.

The way to do it from the US would be through Ontario's health force ontario or another provincial body like that. A hospital would offer a job and they would then grant a license to work in their hospital alone. This usually only happens in need areas for in need specialties, ER fits the bill.

How long the program lasts is anyones guess but for now I think they hire US ER docs in many hospitals.

Archived