Premed 101 Forums

Confused about U of A admissions

Futbol99

Sorry for this really noob question. I've been trying to search for explicit instructions but can't find it.

1.How exactly does U of A calculate your GPA in the application?

2. Are pre-reqs calculated or just used to check if they're completed? I didn't do so well on a couple so I am worried about that. Do they look at all full time years or just 1 full time?

3. What conversion GPA chart do they use? I'm from Ontario so I is it the regular GPA conversion like on OMSAS for medical schools?

4. What is the usual average GPA of admission of entering class?

Thank you so much.

1) They calculate prerequisite courses GPA, cGPA (last 2 years) and GPA in the year you had 30 credits. How much is worth each? I don't have an answer to that.

2) See #1. You can take a higher level class to replace the mark. For example: Introductory Biology (which is a pre-req) can be replaced with higher level Biology (Genetics).

3) Email admissions. In Alberta, both A and A+ are 4.0.

4) For OOP, you need to have a 3.7 in order to be considered. No preference is given to in province, so you have an equal shot as long as you have the GPA minimum. There typically aren't that many OOPs because if you meet the GPA minimum, you have a pretty good chance of getting into your own province's school anyways. It's a good option though if you don't want to write the PCAT or even travel for an interview, as it is online.

1) They calculate prerequisite courses GPA, cGPA (last 2 years) and GPA in the year you had 30 credits. How much is worth each? I don't have an answer to that.

2) See #1. You can take a higher level class to replace the mark. For example: Introductory Biology (which is a pre-req) can be replaced with higher level Biology (Genetics).

3) Email admissions. In Alberta, both A and A+ are 4.0.

4) For OOP, you need to have a 3.7 in order to be considered. No preference is given to in province, so you have an equal shot as long as you have the GPA minimum. There typically aren't that many OOPs because if you meet the GPA minimum, you have a pretty good chance of getting into your own province's school anyways. It's a good option though if you don't want to write the PCAT or even travel for an interview, as it is online.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

I am still confused one thing though - when you say "You need to have a 3.7" what am I looking at? As you mentioned there are 3 GPA's calculated!

Archived