Premed 101 Forums

Mock 12: What is your role managing health care resources?

Guest UWOMED2005

Guest UWOMED2005

Here's a question I had at my Western Interview. The wording isn't precise (my interview was two years ago, please give me a break) but the theme is essentially the same.

"What do you know of health care resource shortages in Ontario? {My answer} As a physician, what would be your role in resource allocation? Can you think of a scenario where this would be an issue?"

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

Guest MayFlower1

UWOMED2005,

"What do you know of health care resource shortages in Ontario? {My answer} As a physician, what would be your role in resource allocation? Can you think of a scenario where this would be an issue?"

This is a tough question...this is how I would answer:

I must admit that I know very little about the resource shortages in Ontario with the exception of what I hear from physicians I know, what I read in the paper or hear in the news or what I experience as a patient. One of the things I've experienced is the long waits in emergency rooms at hospitals when I've had significant and emergent health issues. As a physician, my role to help the resource shortage would be to contribute a portion of my time to working in an emergency room. Although my plan is to practice family medicine, I intend to take an extra year of emergency medicine. I believe every practicing physician should consider contributing to hospitals to help alleviate this serious resource shortage.

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry! I knew my wording was off. By RESOURCES I meant financial and material shortages. . . ie MRIs, implantable defibrillators (great example btw, if anyone cares enough to research this topic before their interview!!),

Guest lots of thinking

Along the same lines and I think after the Romanow report everyone needs to think about how we can "fix" the health care system in Canada- a great question is: Is more money the answer to fixing the health care system??

what are others thoughts on this?

Guest tappety tap

New money won't help at all if there is no accountability for what happens to it. As it is right now, there is a lot of wasteful spending...and adding to that isn't necessarily the answer!

Archived