Premed 101 Forums

Non-academic Activities: Categories

Hey guys,

I just had two questions regarding the non-academic activities section:

1. Does it look bad if an applicant leaves one category empty? Specifically the 'High Performance' category. Are any of you current UBC MD's that left this section empty?

2. In the same vein as #1, I'm wondering if an acknowledgement in a published paper after 1st year would fall into that performance category. Should I have a separate entry here for 'Acknowledgement in X journal' or should I just briefly mention it in the entry for my volunteer work in that lab?

Thanks in advance!

Most people don't have anything in that high performance section. For your paper, I don't think it quite counts as high performance. Apparently high performance is like an olympic medal or something like that.

But the good thing is that UBC does not penalize you for putting something in the wrong category, so no worries!

Hi guys, another question on the NAQ filling..

If you have more than 1 poster/oral presentations, do you fill them in separately? or you just put them together as poster presentation and in the description box list all the presentations you have been presenting? (in my case, I presented at more than 10 conferences so I dont know which one is more sufficient)

Thanks so much

If the scope of your topic is nearly the same or identical (ie the presentation is based on the same research), then you wouldn't reiterate it. I'd personally put the highest level of conference you presented at.

The caveat is that if there are any significant ones you want to highlight I'd put them in a separate category.

They state that they don't "penalize" you for putting things in "wrong" categories, but I feel like they assess you based on which entries you list under which category. I went from above average NAQ to below average NAQ in 1 year due to re-allocating my entries to different categories. I understand NAQ fluctuates, but can't see it changing that much.

Archived