Premed 101 Forums

Mock 19: Tell me about yourself.

Guest Emila

In the interview, if you are asked this question do you talk about your interests, hobbies and work experiences? and why you want to study medicine?

I grew up in foster homes and was adopted when I was ten. Living in different foster homes caused me to become motivated and driven to succeed. If I had a "normal" childhood, I don't think these qualities would be so strong. My biological brother and sister were adopted by different families so I have a more extended family and family is all that more important to me. Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about this during the interview along with some of my interests and personal characteristics?

What would you talk about in your answer to this question?

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

i think it would be entirely appropriate to mention these points in your interview they would have a significant effect in shaping the individual you have since become. from a more pragmatic aspect they also serve to differentiate you from other applicants.

as for how i intend to answer this question i'll have to get back to you. it has been a question with which i have struggled for quite a while. how to highlight the essential me in a couple of minutes? the fall into introspection is a long way down.

ethan

To me, this question indicates the interviewer is interested in getting to know you and is not afraid to let you control some of the direction of your interview.

I truly believe the most important goal of your interview experience should be to let them get to know you. They will be taking lots of notes, and furiously writing down the things you say and the answers you give to their awkward and intimidating questions, but in the end, your fate will be decided in committee. And in this committee, each interviewer will be asked to describe what they thought of you. And how do you describe someone you just met? Something along the lines of "I liked her" or "I didn't like her" usually underlies your answer. I don't think they care too, too much about your specific answers (unless of course you are way out in left field). If your interviewers don't remember you, don't get to know you, and/or, most importantly, don't like you, then you won't get in. (Of course - I'm no expert.)

After both of my interviews last year, I felt like I had done a great job answering all of their questions. It wasn't until later that I realized my answers were very abrupt and followed by awkward pauses spent mostly just squirming, watching their reactions, and waiting for the next question. I didn't give them an impression of me as a person; of who I am. Which could have been accomplished by talking a little bit more. (Most of my med student friends talk about their interviews as having been somewhat like a pleasant 'conversation')

Emila, I think you should definately talk about your childhood much the way you explained it in your post. This is how they will get to know you and like you, and that's fundamentally all that matters in the end. (In my humble opinion.)

Matt

Archived