Premed 101 Forums

Mock 4: Why do you want to be a doctor?

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

There are so many professions you could choose...why do you want to be a doctor?

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

Guest Namgalsip

Excellent question MayFlower,

I find this to be the MOST difficult question in the inteview. Giving a generic answer (and stating the obvious) is no good because EVERYONE can do that. I've been trying to think about ways to personalize my reasons but that just seems to take a long time..for me, it was a decision that evolved over many years and for many reasons (I tried to explain it at my Mac interview and got cut off by the prof 2 sentenses into my explanation..ouch!).

Any advice from our moderators would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Namgalsip,

Wow, I would want to answer in the same way, explaining that the desire evolved over time and is based on several experiences. How were you answering the question when they cut you off?? and how did they cut you off, was it by saying "no, you not answering the actual question??" or "we want the real reason??" or what? I'm really interested in hearing more about your experience.

Thanks,

T

Guest Ian Wong
Any advice from our moderators would be greatly appreciated.
'fraid you're on your own for this one. :) All I can say is to use concrete examples of why you are attracted to this field. You will run into this question again when you apply to residencies at the end of med school: "Why do you want to be a general surgeon/pediatrician/emerg physician..."

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest Biochem10

Nams, may be this time around try not to elaborate too much,try and use one very pertinent example that has influenced your decision.

For instance, I was a lifeguard for a couple of years and I think my role as a lifeguard has greatly shaped my reasons for entering medicine. I learned what it meant to be responsible for another's well being and I found it challenging. I also had the opportunity to teach lifesaving skills to others. I think that becoming a physician will be similar, I will be able to help others, it will be challenging and i will also be able to educate the public (and (far in the future) med students). Although I do realize that the knowledge and responsibilities held by a lifeguard are far less than those held by a physician, I feel that I am ready to take on a more challenging role.

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Biochem,

Funny you should say this b/c my answer was very similar to what you just wrote (I was also a lifeguard). I think in my case, I just had the luck (or lack of it) of getting someone who was very impatient and plain out RUDE. (not to mention, that it was VERY early in the morning and he might not have had his coffee yet :) )

I hope I have better luck this year:D

Guest Koggetsu

Well, at least its good that I know that an answer that starts off with "well several experiences in my life contributed to why I want to be a doctor..." but now I don't know how will I change it.

More importantly, how are u suppose to answer the question "what will u do if u don't get in"??? or "if u ca't be a docto then what other career will u choose???"

I know the generic answer is "I will keep trying"??

but actually i think that answer is pretty BS, so should I answer with another career? or stick to something like that?

Guest Biochem10

I personally don't think that the answer 'I'll keep trying' is BS, especially if it's true. I mean, for me, it's a little different because I'm applying to MD/PhD, so if I don't get in, I'll most definetly do a PhD and I will still be fulfilling 50% of my dream. Then I will certainly consider Medical school again 5 years down the road. I have thought of many, many other careers, nursing, teaching, but I know I would not be completely satisfied with those, so yes I believe I will keep trying. I met a doctor who told me that if you want it badly enough, you will get there.

Archived