Premed 101 Forums

Academic reference letters

Hi,

I don't have any research experience, don't speak up in class, and don't personally know any profs. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on getting a good reference letter. I was planning to just ask profs whose classes I did well in.

Hi,

I don't have any research experience, don't speak up in class, and don't personally know any profs. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on getting a good reference letter. I was planning to just ask profs whose classes I did well in.

I suggest taking a class in which participation is required so that way your prof can get to know you on a first name basis. If your shy like me you can always go to the prof's office hours and get your participation marks like that.

If your school has a co-op program or a work-study program, try to look there for positions under profs. You can also ask a prof who's research or work you're interested in if they'd be willing to take you on as a directed studies student or volunteer. I found that most profs at my university were very open to taking on students that expressed a true interest in their work. I would recommend getting to know a prof better than just in office hours or through 1 course, because you'll want them to be able to write you letter of reference that really highlights your skills. Good luck!

I would also recommend trying to find a professor with whom you think you would get along. I found my fourth year research project VERY enjoyable not only because of the content (in which I was moderately interested) but also because I really got along with my supervisor. In the end, because I worked hard, didn't bother him more than I needed to, and was able to see eye to eye with him on his suggestions, etc., he has given me excellent academic references over the years.

It may seem like a daunting task that's only relevant and useful in the short run, but that kind of networking pays dividends down the road :)

I would highly recommend trying to get a volunteer/paid position with a prof whose class you did well in. This works especially well if the class was relatively small and the prof recognizes that you had one of the highest marks.

Just email the prof, talk about how your research interests relate to theirs (but if you're not actually interested in their research at all, don't bother. Go for a different prof), and mention that you did well in their class. (Attach your resume/transcript) And then ask if you could set up a meeting with them to talk more!

You could also enroll specifically in courses that would help you get to know a prof. I was in psychology and my school's program offered a lot of courses that gave you opportunities for one on one collaboration with profs. (e.g., independent study, research apprenticeships, honours thesis)

Asking a prof who doesn't really know you (other than the grade you got in their course) will just get you a moderately positive and generic reference letter. I've always been pretty shy and I didn't participate much in class, so I understand how hard it is to get some good references. But if you're really determined to get into OT/PT, you'll really have to suck it up and put in a lot of effort. If I could do it, you definitely can too! :)

I actually don't think its necessarily mandatory that you ask a prof who you are really close to. That would obviously be better if it is possible, but for me it wasn't. I was not close to any professors, so I asked the prof of a smallish (75 student) class that I did really well in to give me a reference. She definitely at least recognized me though, but certainly did not know me particularly well. I am sure the letter did not say anything about my personality or research ability etc., just that I did really well in her class. I think that for at least a few of the schools (I got in to 2 OT schools that required reference letters), they really just use the letters as a way of screening out the "bad eggs". Therefore, as long as it is positive, and the rest of your app is solid, you should be OK!

Archived