Premed 101 Forums

healthcare policies

Guest cheese

Guest cheese

i was just wondering if those of you who have had your interviews were ever quizzed on healthcare policies. should you be familiar with the issues/policies for each province, differences between canada and the states, etc...??? also, does anyone know where i could get info about policies and healthcare structure??

thanks,

cheese

Guest Kirsteen

Hi cheese,

It's a good idea to become familiar with some of the key healthcare issues out there; both, Canada-wide and also at the more province-specific level. In my UBC interview last year I was asked quite a number of policy questions that covered Canadian and BC policy and then was asked to compare these to European policy (I wouldn't worry too much about extra-Canadian policy, it must have been the accent!). I was also asked policy questions surrounding not only physicians' practice, but nursing as well.

To better familiarize yourself with the current events in health care there are a bunch of different resources. CMAJ is a good one to start reading through regularly, but for more in-depth coverage there are a number of white papers available via various government websites on health care issues and policy. (I apologize, I don't have the specific links handy.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived