Premed 101 Forums

Finishing Prerequisites for U of A Pharmacy this year

NezzS

Hello, 

I need some help with the U of A admission requirements. I'm currently registered in another institution other than the U of A (Still in Alberta) and planning to finish my prerequisites this year (Second year), but I was told that I can only use 4 courses (12 credits) as options for transfer credit when I apply by one of the student advisers, I wasn't aware of this at all, and I think there was actually miscommunication between us because I think we were talking about two separate things. I was talking about electives during my pre-professional studies, I think he was talking about pharmacy options. I have 5 electives along with the remaining prerequisite courses this year so I can satisfy my full course load (Did most of my prereqs last year) and already did two electives last year leaving my with just two left to use if this is true, which won't be possible if I want to maintain the full course load of 30 credits. Can someone please tell me if this is true? Could he have been talking about options in the pharmacy program itself? Just to quote what he said at one point, I asked him what options he was talking about:  "They are part of the curriculum in pharmacy, but if you already took more courses than the prereqs before being admitted, then you can get transfer credit for those 4 courses only". I'm just really confused right now. Thanks.

Just got into U of A pharm this year! He was talking about the options in the pharmacy program. So you can take your pre-reqs, plus whatever electives you want to have a full course load, and since you're taking 2 years, you're most likely going to be transfer credit for the options in pharmacy, so you won't have to take more electives in pharmacy. 

Just a side note, you can only have junior level transfer credit options if they're all in different branches. like, you could have psyco 104, econ 101, phys 124 and china 101 as your transfer credit options. but if they're in the same branch... ex if you have psyco 104, psyco 105, econ 101, econ 102... that will only count for 2 transfer credit options, and you'll still need to take 2 electives in pharmacy. just a thought as you pick your electives. 

Archived