Premed 101 Forums

Taking Online Courses Through Athabasca

Hey

I was just wondering has anyone taken online courses from Athabasca to cover their physiotherapy prerequisites? I'm planning to take Bio 230 (6 credit) and another 3 credit course in October and I need to have it finished before my application to UBC, so January. How long did it take you to complete your course and how did you find them?

thank you

My advice would be to start Bio 230 right away. It is an interesting course, but there is a LOT of material and it is mostly self-taught. I gave myself 6 months, but ended up procrasanating and then eventually panicing during the last 3 months! I am normally an A student, but I found this course tough. If you are skilled in absorbing material, you may enjoy it, but just be sure to get a firm understanding of each topic before moving onto the next. The labs are a great learning tool and the study guides help, but I found needed a good 3 weeks to study when preparing for the mid-terms. The tests are multiple choice, but with more abstract questions rather than definition and memorization-type answers.

Good luck, you can do it!!

I took the anatomy through Dalhousie Online and loved it. The Prof is hilarious and explains things well. Most tests and assisgnments are open book and he is more concerned with oyur understanding rather than straight memorization. I got an A!

Also I'll only have 4 months to complete this given It took me awhile to figure out my options and now can't begin my online classes till October. I'm looking at applying to UBC and their cut-off for application grades is Dec, 31, anything after that wont be considered.

Nice thanks for your help

Did you take ANAT 1010 Basic Human Anatomy from Dalhousie online by any chance?? I was looking at that one for covering my prerequisite, the course i was considering didn't cover it.

Yes, I took that one online.

Also I'll only have 4 months to complete this given It took me awhile to figure out my options and now can't begin my online classes till October. I'm looking at applying to UBC and their cut-off for application grades is Dec, 31, anything after that wont be considered.

Really? I am surprized the cut off is so early. With Dal, you could apply while the courses were in progeress as long as the final marks were sent by June 1st

• 2 weeks later...

Archived