Premed 101 Forums

*What is self-directed learning?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*S Chiu UG3

Date:***8/30/2000 9:22 pm*PST

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas what best illustrates self-directed learning? I have many instances of self-directed learning such as learning a musical instrument, teaching myself about html, correspondence courses, etc. However, I am confused as to which one I should use and whether they adequately show my ability (and motivation!) to teach myself and learn.

I am trying to answer a question for those med school questions. Does anyone have any ideas what the question really means and what kinds of experiences best illustrates self-directed learning?

Merci

S Chiu

UG3

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***8/30/2000 9:55 pm*PST

I would say learning a musical instrument is a good example because I am teaching myself a musical instrument also. I would think that is a good idea. There are many other good examples like for example if you like to read up on things like science books or magazines for information or something along that order, that shows you have a desire to learn and maybe a good quality for academic success and desire to always learn and grow as a doctor. There are many examples but I really think those 2 for me I wouldn't forget on putting in the application but its up to you just say something that you think would support a reason why you have better learning skills under your own self directance and a desire to learn versus the average applicant.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo

Date:***9/4/2000 8:01 pm*PST

I don't know if this counts, but to me self-directed learning happens everyday. Ever since my freshman year in which I had a bunch of horrible profs, I've decided to ignore all profs in lectures, and do all self-studying. I have thus far attained a 3.72 GPA in all my undergrad courses, and I'm not looking back.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/3/2000 11:10 pm*PST

Hi Simon,

I'm afraid I missed this message earlier; hopefully you'll still find it.

Here at UBC, we just finished Orientation Week for the incoming Class of 2004. I had a bit of a hand in this Week, including participating in a mock-PBL demo, and writing a fair amount of the Orientation material.

When I hear the words "Self-Directed Learning", to me that screams "Is this person's background and personality suited to a PBL environment???"

Self-directed learning is the hall-mark of PBL, where you compile lists of all the things that you need to learn in order to solve and understand a case, and then go out and research them. Therefore, this takes a very highly motivated, and intellectually curious individual. It's simply not like lectures where you are given everything you are expected to know. In PBL, the limit is your own expectations and goals.

Therefore, my recommendation is to pick out topics that you have managed to achieve a high level in, via self-directed learning. If you have a web-site, built using HTML that you self-learned, mention it, and put a link to it in your application. You just want to prove to the admissions committee that you have the drive, and passion, to learn information and apply it without needing it spoon-fed to you.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived