Premed 101 Forums

chances after 4 interviews

Guest veronica

No doubt your chances are very good. But one must remember that it's not like you bought 4 lotto tickets out 400 and improved your odds. Each school is independent of each other so the depressing way to look at it is that having 4 interviews is just like have only one interview. Your odds are obviously better than this. By having four interviews, you gained valuable interview experience, were exposed to a various lines of questioning, discussions, etc. that you carried from one interview to the next, thereby (hopefully) making at least one of your interviews better than "average."

Best of luck to you. I hope you get accepted to all four, so you can pick your medical school!

Guest Ian Wong

Anon, you are dead-on accurate, as compared to my personal experience. With each interview, you learn a little more about how to answer the questions. The content of your answers doesn't really change, but you get a little more polished, and have more flow in the interview.

People who have interviewed lots previously (repeat applicants, former co-op students, people who have been in the workplace before) will have already learned how to present themselves smoothly, as do people who have lots of experiences in public speaking, or marketing, or presentations. It's a learned skill, and as you interview more, you'll get better at it.

It also looks to me like you have a very strong GPA, as many of the schools you've interviewed at have extremely stringent GPA thresholds, particularly for OOP applicants. Therefore, assuming your interviews go well, you've got as good a chance as anyone else. If you don't get accepted this year, your paper application will probably give you at least the same number of interviews the following year.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest premed

hey, do you know when sask is letting outta province ppl know?

june or july?

and about your chance thing... since you had interviews at 4 diff schools in 4 diff provinces... your chance is probably still better than somebody w/ only one interview, but not too much better... (that's the case w/ me too...)

lets just keep our fingers crossed...

Guest sask2005

they are sending out pass/fail interview notification on april 30th. If you failed the interview, your file will no longer be considered. You need a 16/24 on the interview to pass. I think if you have passed the interview the you have a very very good chance of getting in.

Guest premed

even if you're an out of province student?

I heard that they interviewed 35 oop students this year... for like 5 spots... and 60 in province students for 50 spots...

Guest Ian Wong

Ahh, but don't forget that most OOP students decline Sask's offer in favour of another school. After all, if you have the credentials to be accepted at an out of province school, you have an extremely good chance of getting into your "home province" med school.

When I interviewed there in 1999, apparently they interviewed 15 OOP students for the 5 spots, and none of the OOP students accepted Sask's acceptance offer (ie. the Sask class of 1999 only has in-province students).

That's probably why they interview so many more OOP students now...

Ian

UBC, MS2

Archived