Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS verification form: course lengths not what I wanted

Guest tuncrypt

Guest tuncrypt

All of the courses I put having a length of "1.5" have become "1.0" on this verification form I received in the mail... a while back. These were 4 credit courses at York U.

I had this happen to me too - coming from UBC I had 2-credit research courses calculated as .5 and the same problem with 4-credit lab/lecture courses coming up as 1.0. I ended up having a 29-credit year entered as 9.0, which... ouch.

My understanding though is that most schools will look at the transcript to see what your course load was by your home school's standard because I'm sure they realize that this happens when some schools' credit systems are converted. I know I've read that UT does this and I seem to remember seeing it elsewhere too. You can always call OMSAS though, they've been really helpful when I've called.

Guest RoseSmurfette

A similar thing happened to me. I had three 4 credit lecture+lab courses (UBC) changed from 1.5 to 1.0. I'm still at a full course load, so I guess it's okay. But if anyone calls OMSAS, I'd be curious to know what they say (ie. please post!)

Guest Fishy0118

Hello ...

I noticed that OMSAS has changed the length of any course beyond the 12th course to 0.5 units. Say, I took 14 courses in a certain year, the first 12 courses are counted as 1.0, but the 13th and 14th courses count as 0.5. Is that "normal" ?? How does OMSAS pick which one(s) to be weighed less than others?

Maybe I should contact them to see .... Anyone has a similar situation?

Archived