Premed 101 Forums

Science Courses For Us D.o. Schools

leaf

Hi everyone,

US D.O. schools requires 8 credits of biology (with labs), 8 credits of general chemistry (with labs), 8 credits of organic chemistry (with labs), but these courses are only 6 credits at my school (with labs). What do you guys do to fulfill the science requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

US D.O. schools requires 8 credits of biology (with labs), 8 credits of general chemistry (with labs), 8 credits of organic chemistry (with labs), but these courses are only 6 credits at my school (with labs). What do you guys do to fulfill the science requirements?

Thanks in advance.

If you have any upper level bios outside of freshman, those will add to it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking it doesn't matter how many credits they are. Its about how many classes it is. 8 credits of organic chem means two semesters of it, same with bio and gen chem. U of T's classes are 0.5 credits per class, if it was credits that mattered, someone who have to take 16 organic chemistry courses to meet the requirement. It'd be impossible. 

If your school goes on a 3 credit system then that means you take 6 credits to match a full years worth of organic chem, gen chem, bio or whatever the requirement is. 

I am planning on retaking some science courses, the general chemistry courses I took were two 4-credits courses. The school I am studying at now are only offering two 3-credits general chemistry courses. I recall the AACOMAS manual was mentioning something like if you want to replace a grade, you have to take equal or more credits. That is why I am having some confusion.

I am planning on retaking some science courses, the general chemistry courses I took were two 4-credits courses. The school I am studying at now are only offering two 3-credits general chemistry courses. I recall the AACOMAS manual was mentioning something like if you want to replace a grade, you have to take equal or more credits. That is why I am having some confusion.

Yes, the most recent course you take MUST BE : EQUAL or GREATER in credit value.

If it is 3 credits like you say, you are out of luck and wasting your time.

Yes, the most recent course you take MUST BE : EQUAL or GREATER in credit value.

If it is 3 credits like you say, you are out of luck and wasting your time.

I think you're wrong about this.

Think about it, lets say you took Genetics at UOttawa and it was a three credit class, and you got a C. You re-took Genetics at U of T and it was a 0.5 credit class and you got an A. 

Im pretty sure that the DO school will considered those two courses to be credit equivalencies. U of T's one semester courses are 0.5 credits, and Ottawa's are three credits. Theres no such thing as a universal credit system, so it would be unreasonable of the DO schools to expect the credits to be the same number. Im sure that all they mean is the same number of semesters. 3 credits at U of T is equivalent to 18 credits at U of O. Im just using U of T and U of O as examples obviously.

I don't know, I really think you should call the schools and double check this with them. 

Archived