Premed 101 Forums

Which Do Schools Accept Canadians?

vincent56

Hi,

Could you please tell me which DO choola accept canadians? The ones I called only accept US citizens or permany residents of US (and they say it's new from this year).

Thank you,

If you look at the AACOMAS CIB 2014, it has a list of schools that take internationals. However, not all of them on the list actually are realistic options.

I though that DO was THE big choice for Canadians that are not accepted in Canada. What for ? Is it something from this year that they only take US citizens or permanent residents ?

There's like 30 DO schools now spread over 42 teaching sites. There's only like 9-10 Canadian/International friendly DO schools - i.e., only 9-10 that has a strong track record of actually accepting/matriculating Canadians after you've paid your application fees. The rest of the DO schools (i.e., the remaining 20 or so) either do not accept internationals, or has a very poor track record of accepting Canadians/internationals, with only perhaps 1 or 2 acceptances or less over the past 4 years.

These 9 - 10 Canadian friendly DO schools have already been distilled for you in the DO for Canadians thread, first page, I gave the names of the Canadian friendly DO schools, and a few unfriendly DO schools who likes to take your application fees, then not accept you.

Thank you for you answer! (I also send you this message in your private mailbox, I post it here just in case some others could answer).

Also:

1) Do you know if these schools (the ones that accept canadians) are very selective/hard to get in ?

2) Do you think these schools will accept my prerequisite courses done at Cégep (in Quebec, It think it's the equivalent of a College...it's 2 years between secondary and university). I know I need to contact some 3rd-party services and I did contact World Education Services...and they told me to apply for an evaluation report which is a looooong way to do...I need to translate my transcripts etc...So If you could give me an answer I would appreciate.

Thanks!

Thank you for you answer! (I also send you this message in your private mailbox, I post it here just in case some others could answer).

Also:

1) Do you know if these schools (the ones that accept canadians) are very selective/hard to get in ?

2) Do you think these schools will accept my prerequisite courses done at Cégep (in Quebec, It think it's the equivalent of a College...it's 2 years between secondary and university). I know I need to contact some 3rd-party services and I did contact World Education Services...and they told me to apply for an evaluation report which is a looooong way to do...I need to translate my transcripts etc...So If you could give me an answer I would appreciate.

Thanks!

1) I would say that by definition - DO schools are not hard to get into.

2) People in your situation - cegep and from Quebec have definitely been accepted at US DO schools before, you are not the first, and you surely won't be the last.

I think the most of them did end up needing their transcript translated/verified by WES. I'd get the translation/verification done asap if you plan on applying this cycle.

OK thank you for your answer! And :

1) Will they count EVERY courses of my cegep in the gpa or only the prerequisite ones ?

2) Also, I didn't write the MCAT yet, I will write it on next August. So when should I start applying ?

3) I miss 2 english courses for prerequisites...when should I do it ? Before I apply, or I can still do it during the year of application ? Should I finished these 2 courses by april/may at university ? 

OK thank you for your answer! And :

1) Will they count EVERY courses of my cegep in the gpa or only the prerequisite ones ?

2) Also, I didn't write the MCAT yet, I will write it on next August. So when should I start applying ?

3) I miss 2 english courses for prerequisites...when should I do it ? Before I apply, or I can still do it during the year of application ? Should I finished these 2 courses by april/may at university ? 

Any chance you can take the MCAT earlier? If you write it in August next year, you won't have your score until mid-late september. While it it isn't late, it isn't early either.

The new MCAT will be a different beast, so maybe it would be useful if you need the summer months to prepare. 

For english courses, you can do them and have them done by the time of application if you want, but that is not required. As long as they are done before you matriculate, you are fine.

Archived