Premed 101 Forums

Physically Challenged?

Hi,

I have been PGY-1 for a few months now, and I really struggle. For most people, and for the medical world in general, it is generally psychological struggles that are addressed, with many programs, and help, and blah blah blah.

BUT I have a chronic physical illness that greatly challenges my everyday life. I have to struggle with awful fatigue on top of chronic debilitating pains. Needless to say I hate standing up, or sitting, or writing, or concentrating for too long. Nights and calls are horrible! I can barely stay awake 4+ hours when at home. How could I stay functional and not dangerous when in hospital?

My list of meds is scary. Long action narcotics for years, Ritalin for a minimum awakeness, immunosuppressants, blah blah. Some would say this is dangerous to work with. I say dealing with pain would be scarier.

Anyone in that condition? Have you ever had arrangements with your program? Shorter calls? Nap time? I don't know loll

I tried to tough it up, but now I crumble. And I am afraid of the consequences of saying overtly that I am sick.

Thanks folks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you feel that you cannot do your adequate duties, you must report this: I know that our program is amazing for making medical accomodations for our residents. I think you need to sit down with your doctor and work out a plan: it is not safe for you or your patients if you cannot do your duties - and it's not good for your training either.

Some alternative accomodations I have seen before include (not to say they would work for you): different call ratios, certain call hours (be aware that if you are only doing say, 8 hrs of call a night you will do call MORE OFTEN to make up the total # of hours that you need to do)... etc. There are also medical leaves if you feel that you need it, but this seems to be a chronic issue that you are facing. 

I strongly suggest you involve a mentor or your program director - it is not safe for you to continue this way if you can only concentrate and work for 4 hours at a time and you are on overnight calls. 

I note that you are in Quebec - don't you already have duty hour caps? 

• 4 months later...

Hi and thank you both for your answers.

I am indeed in Quebec, and yes they have managed to get duty hour caps... Except it is only for some programs, some rotations, and even then, it is rarely respected. I still do 24h+ days.... On Christmas, they wanted me to do December 24-25-26-27, all of them 24h. I did not even know this was legal!?!?

Anyways...

I am on sickness leave since the end of November. Not planning on going back soon. What annoys me the most in that situation is that neither my program director or dean of Faculty had anything to suggest to me in order to help. I was and still am desperate. They argue that they cannot remove hours from my training and that everything must be done 100% in the timeframe required for rotations (usually a month).

I am raging. How come all workplaces have policies for limited abilities, EXCEPT when it comes to doctors themselves!? Isn't that paradoxal?

I feel utterly insulted. I just have no words.

And still don't know if I will be able to return to the hospital as a resident, given the poor conditions we have to face.

I'm sorry to hear that your program is being inflexible and annoying. 

We had the option of working 24 hrs in continuous blocks over holidays (in the end one of my friends and I split it and did 1:2); I think there's certain times when they are really short residents where they can stick you on back to back. It's really annoying and not safe at all - I hope that at least your staff are supportive of you. Mine are wonderful!

Archived