Premed 101 Forums

Is It Possible To Get Into Md/phd Program In The Us?

sv2014

Is it possible to get into MD/PhD Program in the US?

I have a Masters degree and I have checked with some of the schools - they do accept applications from Canadians. But realistically speaking, is it possible to get into the program as a Canadian?

I have seen lots of Canadians getting into MD programs but have not heard of a single person going for the joint degree program.

Is it possible to get into MD/PhD Program in the US?

I have a Masters degree and I have checked with some of the schools - they do accept applications from Canadians. But realistically speaking, is it possible to get into the program as a Canadian?

I have seen lots of Canadians getting into MD programs but have not heard of a single person going for the joint degree program.

Yes, it would be no different than getting into the regular MD programs.

If it offers MD/PhD to Internationals, you will be able to be accepted. Weather or not you have the qualifications or what they are looking for, is a different story.

Take a look at the publicly available AMCAS admissions statistics on this.  The picture is rather demoralizing;  I think last year under 10 non-citizens got in...  You cannot be funded with NIH money, so schools must dig into their institutional funds to support you.  You must be a very strong applicant to convince them of doing this.

Archived