Premed 101 Forums

Hospitals Hiring B.sc In Pt!?

Hello all,

I'm searching through job postings at hospitals because I'm considering physiotherapy as a career. Most postings say
"

• Successful completion of a Bachelor of Science major in Physiotherapy(B.Sc.(PT)) or recognized equivalent "

I, however, completed my bachelor's in biology. If I do end up doing M.Sc in PT is that considered an equivalent? basically are you considered a physiotherapist if you only have an M.Sc. in PT?

Yes, you are considered a PT whether you have a BSc(PT) or an MSc(PT). Physiotherapy was changed from a bachelor's degree to a master's several years ago now, but the outcome is the same. To become a PT in Canada now, you take a 24-25 month (no summers off) graduate degree, whereas before it was a 4-year bachelor's degree with summers off. The US is actually looking to change their degree for PTs from a master's to a doctorate, but I don' t think that's happening till 2020ish.

Bottom line, whether you have a bachelor's or a master's in physiotherapy, the degree grants you the privilege of being a physiotherapist. If Canada decides to adopt a doctorate model to the PT programs, then all the BSc's and MSc's will be grandfathered into that system.

I hope that makes sense.

Archived