Premed 101 Forums

Nope...

Guest Hoshang

I unfortunately missed the Sept 15, deadline to make an account. Is there any way I can get an account or submit a paper application? My friend made me an account but appearantly its under his name.

Thanks guys

Unfortunately, you've missed the deadline so there is no way to get a new account.

If you can convince someone who has oppened one and changed their mind about applying then maybe you can take it over, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Hoshang

I paid ($600) and submitted everything by Oct 1, I even got a letter verifying that everything was received. Then one month later i get a letter saying that my application to all the medical schools has been denied because I used somebody else's personal storage space to file my application.

Why couldn't they tell me this before I wasted my time applying, not to mention taking my money? Also, I never read anywhere that I couldn't use an account somebody else made, especially when the account was made for me! Why can't somebody give use their personal storage space to file any application they wish? The person who made the account for me doesnt even have the pre-requisites to apply to any med school anywhere, he just used his name and email when he registered the application for me.

Sorry to hear that... you are right, if that is the OMSAS policy, it should be clearly stated somewhere on the website so that this kind of thing won't happen!

I would appeal the decision if I were you... ask them to show you what rule they are applying and where it is outlined. The worst thing that can happen is that they continue to say you are 'denied'.

Guest Steve U of T

I don't believe there was a 'this account is non-transferable' clause when registering the OMSAS account, so technically you didn't do anything wrong. It sounds like they think you stole the person's password. You need to have your friend contact OMSAS and explain that the account was made for you, and that you didn't steal it.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey Hoshang,

How did they determine that you were not (in their view) the rightful owner of that account? Did you accidentally leave some of your friend's personal information in the account? It's none of my business, I'm just curious...

In any case, I think you *really* need to appeal this. I had a quick look through the OMSAS booklet, trying to figure out what they would have busted you for (based on my limited knowledge of your situation). It kinda sounds like you're paying the penalty outlined in the "Admission Irregularities" section on page 3.

Quote: "The discovery that any information is false or misleading...will invalidate an application and will result in its immediate rejection...Admission irregularities will be shared with universities across Canada."

That last sentence is particularly chilling. If I were you, I'd try and get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. It's not just the $600 that's at issue, but your ability to apply to medical and other programmes in the future...If I were running a medical school and found out somebody applied fraudulently to my programme or another medical programme, I'd make sure his name went into my files so that I wouldn't waste my time interviewing him in the future.

I don't know that medical schools keep those sorts of lists, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Note that I'm not saying that what you did was wrong ('cuz I don't think it was, based on what I know). My point is that you don't want to have med schools thinking that you did something fraudulent, because that could come back to haunt you in future application cycles.

I'm also not saying any of this will happen. I'm simply taking the most pessimistic view in order to impress upon you the need to take this situation really, really seriously. At this point it's not about six hundred bucks, but about your good name.

I'm not involved with med school admissions and I'm not a lawyer, so I could be completely out to lunch with this post, but as an ordinary guy watching from the sidelines I really do think you need to challenge this decision.

Sorry to be such a downer. I hope things work out for you yet.

Good luck!

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFBlRTP/HNgbK3bC2wRAoqqAJ4nRmN8ewi+LHo0gW+Q4DHYjg1A3gCdEzsv

Glrkjnerp9liuwDoBugpqWA=

=k0Ro

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest Hoshang

I will e-mail both the schools and OMSAS to try to find out what I did wrong exactly and where it was stipulated that I did something wrong.

Although when i contacted Northern the admissions officer told me that my application was revoked because I missed the Sept. 15 deadline and I used somebody elses account. He said that I should apply next year before the deadline so I don't think they are trying to bust me for fraud or anything like that because that would be rediculous since I didnt do anything fraudulent.

I really would like to hear what an actually lawyer would advice me to do. Perhaps OMSAS has overstepped their boundries a bit here. Although in the cartel like system they have set up here I doubt I can do anything. Even if I did manage to win an appeal I'm pretty sure the individual med schools can just toss my app in the garbage and I wouldn't be the wiser.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hoshang Zakaria.

Guest Steve U of T
How did they determine that you were not (in their view) the rightful owner of that account?
I'm guessing they keep records of the name you use to register the account, and compare it to the name used upon submitting the account. Not many people have their name (first and last) legally changed while in the process of applying to medical school. Until you prove otherwise, they have every reason to believe you used the account without permission from the creator. Again, I recommend having your friend that made the account contact OMSAS directly to explain the situation. That might expedite the process.

Guest Hoshang

It is not OMSAS's decision they just give the information to the medical schools who make the decisions. I told them (OMSAS and the med schools) that I could get written and verbal confirmation that the person who made the account made it for me and that I could even show proof that the person did not have the pre-requisites to apply to any of the Ontario med schools. They just kept referring back the original letter which said I filed an application on another individual's storage space so my application will be withdrawn. Here is a recent response I got. At least I argued my money back.

"Dear Mr. Zakaria:

I have reviewed your email of November 15, 2004. The decision not to consider

the applications of those who applied using IT numbers assigned originally to

other candidates was discussed and agreed upon unanimously at the provincial

level and was

reviewed by legal counsel prior to its dissemination. Therefore, the decision

stands.

Please be aware that OMSAS will be refunding your application fee accordingly.

Yours sincerely, "

The key thing there was, "IT numbers assigned originally to

other candidates". If I could show that the person it was originally assigned could not possible be a candidate would it make a difference? Probably not, I doubt they would change a decision made on "the provincial level".

Guest Steve U of T

Yeah, you should be glad about the refund. Just curious, why couldn't you find the 5 minutes it takes to make an account prior to the deadline? Next July, as soon as OMSAS is available, make an account right away. Even if you won't fill out the application until September, make the account early. It's not that hard. Or, if you must have a friend do it for you, have them register in your name.

Guest starry234

Well due to the fact that the dates were pushed up this year, I would think there are probably many people who are in Hoshang's position. I have quite a few friends (first time applicants) who missed the deadline completely. I'm sure they'll be more careful next time.

Guest vitegeist

honestly, this is a pretty involved process.

I think anyone seriously considering medical school should have the wherewithall to think ahead, and to check out when important deadlines are. Missing a deadline is a pretty major things to recover from - that's a whole year down the tubes - so why not take the 2 seconds to jump over to OMSAS and have a look?

That's just me, though. Maybe I take this too seriously.

Archived