Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance Of Being Accepted?

I currently have a subgpa 3.4 GPA, I'm hoping by the end of this Fall semester my grades can bump up my GPA to a 3.5ish...

I'm looking to apply to Occupational Therapy in all Ontario schools and maybe Alberta or McGill.

Do I have a chance at any of these schools? I know a lot of people on here last year were applying with 3.6+ GPA's.

Thanks

Hey there. The trend certainly seems to be around a mid 3.6 and up, but I wouldn't let this discourage you. Some strategies you can use to be more effective are:

1. Work with what you've got: lots of volunteer work? OT specific/related experience? Transferable skills? Awesome references?

2. Apply to schools that look for well-rounded candidates (the trend seems to be Queen's and McGill). You could apply to Western but know that their application is almost entirely grade-based.

3. Figure out what sets you apart if it isn't necessarily grades and use that to frame your letter of intent. Make sure you know stuff about the OT profession. Ask an OT to look this letter over for you.

4. Figure out some back up plans if you don't get in this round (volunteering, travelling, related work). Lots of people apply a couple times before being accepted.

Also, just remember that there are people with higher GPAs who aren't accepted sometimes and people with lower GPAs who are. Grades are important but they don't completely define you :)

I'm applying this year, too. Good luck!

Archived