Premed 101 Forums

Omsas Course Credits Conversion?

According to OMSAS:

Half year courses have a weighing of 1.0

Full-year courses have a weighing of 2.0

So GPA calculation would be based on course length rather than credits, as far as I know.

Although, I have a question myself:

I am currently taking 30 Credits, but I only have an equivalent of 4.5 Full-Year courses (I have one 9 credit course). Does this mean that I'm not taking full-courseload? I've heard that 30 credits is sufficient to be considered full courseload, but then Ive also heard that you need 5.0 full year equivalent courses to be considered full courseload!

I was about to make a new thread about this actually, but hopefully someone can shed light on this here so I don't have to.

Ottawa, for example, states that an equivalent of 5 full year courses are needed to be considered. 30 credits means full time studies at York, but does it mean the same for medical schools?

As I know, each school has its own rule on this. Toronto u. is 5 courses OR 28 credits, Western Ontario is 5 courses AND 30 credits. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Western:

"Full-time study is defined as 5.0 courses or equivalent with 30 or more credit hours taken between September and April. Academic transcripts must show clearly that applicants have met this course load requirement"

So 30 credits for western should be sufficient to complete the full courseload requirement(?)

I know a friend waitlisted at Western Ontario last cycle, after submit the final transcript in May, was removed from waitlist, because the final year 11 courses 32 credits GPA is 3.6x < 3.7 even the overall cGPA is 3.7x.

My friend asked Western to drop a lowest course B or B+, which will make the last year GPA 3.7x for 10 courses 29 credits, but Western won't allow to drop the lowest course because the rest 10 courses only 29 credits.

I know a friend waitlisted at Western Ontario last cycle, after submit the final transcript in May, was removed from waitlist, because the final year 11 courses 32 credits GPA is 3.6x < 3.7 even the overall cGPA is 3.7x.

My friend asked Western to drop a lowest course B or B+, which will make the last year GPA 3.7x for 10 courses 29 credits, but Western won't allow to drop the lowest course because the rest 10 courses only 29 credits.

Thanks for sharing that. It's kind of strange and harsh that even 5 full year courses would not be sufficient (but necessaey). I'm going to call the admissions office of ontario schools and find out whether 30 credits is enough to meet the "full courseload" requirement :/ quite worried now since my second year was 30 credits but only 4.5 full year courses

Archived