Premed 101 Forums

Interview Related Questions

So after having received the video from MUN about what to expect on interview day, I do have another question regarding the traditional interview. The video states that we will have to do look at a prompt before entering the room for the 30 minute interview. Would I be expected to talk about a topic for 30 minutes? I thought that traditional interviews would be more conversational and focused on persona motivations. 

So after having received the video from MUN about what to expect on interview day, I do have another question regarding the traditional interview. The video states that we will have to do look at a prompt before entering the room for the 30 minute interview. Would I be expected to talk about a topic for 30 minutes? I thought that traditional interviews would be more conversational and focused on persona motivations. 

That's kind of true, but if I recall, the prompt was something like "You will talk to two people about why you want to be a doctor and about yourself for 30 min." It's definitely more focused on you and your interests :)

So I had a dream last night that one of the prompts asked us to build something out of the bucket of legos outside the door... Wish Saturday was really going to be that easy!

I twice had to tie knots based on the directions of another applicant ;) The MMI is a strange creature...though MUN doesn't do role-play or team work stations unless they've changed from last year :) Goof luck!

Sorry another clothes question:

I didn't buy a suit for the interview but I bought a dress from the suit section at banana republic. It's very professional but do you think I should go for an actual suit? I have one of those as well.

Honestly, it's up to you. I wore a suit and another OOP applicant that I applied with at MUN and Dal wore a dress, and we're both classmates at MUN  :P  Convention probably says a suit, but as my classmate proves, as long as it's professional you're fine with a dress  :)

Can anyone comment on the new curriculum (i.e. spiral/story-based?)?

It's...still got some bugs to it. But it's integrated, so we have testable class with other courses like clinical skills, special projects, community engagement, and we don't have blocks of subjects at a time.  You probably don't have to go to deep into it - just say you like the idea of an integrate curriculum.  

Sorry another clothes question:

I didn't buy a suit for the interview but I bought a dress from the suit section at banana republic. It's very professional but do you think I should go for an actual suit? I have one of those as well.

If you love it, wear it! It's really about being comfortable in your attire and expressing yourself. If you're a dress kinda gal, wear it! (given it's professional, as you said). There were many of our classmates who equally wore suits, dresses, or skirt and blazer type attire and they were successful in their interviews. I know it's hard not to scrutinize every detail, but it will be fine :)

It's...still got some bugs to it. But it's integrated, so we have testable class with other courses like clinical skills, special projects, community engagement, and we don't have blocks of subjects at a time.  You probably don't have to go to deep into it - just say you like the idea of an integrate curriculum.  

I sorta get the gist of "spiral-based", but what about "story-based" teaching? Is it similar to PBL, where you do your own team-based research around a topic?

P.S. I take it back. Can you perhaps provide some details on the spiral-style teaching too? I'm also confused about this two-week learning block and then at the end of the two week you have a reflective session? Also, what's a "special project"? Is it a research-thesis project?

I sorta get the gist of "spiral-based", but what about "story-based" teaching? Is it similar to PBL, where you do your own team-based research around a topic?

P.S. I take it back. Can you perhaps provide some details on the spiral-style teaching too? I'm also confused about this two-week learning block and then at the end of the two week you have a reflective session? Also, what's a "special project"? Is it a research-thesis project?

I have no idea what a spiral is lol The stories are that they try to integrate cases into our learning, but that usually doesn't actually happen.  We do have ILS, which is like PBL, where we move into small groups and look at a case together, but most profs aren't into using the cases in class yet.  The only 2 week thing I can think of is that we do a 2 week community placement in a rural area, and then 2 weeks of research.  Special projects is just the umbrella term for ethics, law, consent, confidentiality, etc.  

The airport cabs run a flat rate to hotels, but everything in St. John's is no farther than 15 min by car away, so it's not a big fee to get around.  15 min to downtown and 10 min from downtown to MUN :)

Thank you so much della19. Your wisdom and advice has truly been invaluable! I'll keep that in mind once I get to St Johns tomorrow

Archived