Premed 101 Forums

Interview Related Questions

So, interviews are fast approaching being on the 15th of November, and so I thought I'd start this thread if any applicants have any questions for any MUN med students that might frequent this site.  Good luck to all the applicants, and we can't wait to meet you on the 15th :)

How do the panel interviews differ from MMI situations? I'm kind of nervous about them and am unsure as to how to prepare for them. What are they looking for in terms of your answers? What's the general amount of questions that they ask?

I have many questions sorry XD

No prob, questions are the reason I made this thread :) The traditional and the MMI are different. The MMI is 8 minutes one on one, with problem solving, quotes, ethical scenarios and things like that. They are much less about you (though you are encouraged to mention personal things there) then the traditional is, which is two interviewers and you for 30 or 45 min (it was 30 last year). The traditional asks mostly about you, why are you interested in being a doctor, where do you see yourself in 10 years, etc.  Not sure how many they ask, but mine finished with about 5 min before the 30 min mark, and I just chatted with my interviewers and asked them questions.  I think MUN does 8 MMI sessions, and no role-playing or team sessions (like Dal does).  Google MMI prep and practice questions will come up, same with the traditional.  

I used on my third cycle (the one I got in): http://www.macadmissions.com. They are doing an 8 hour live web classroom November 2nd for the TaMMI, though the price is 750.00 for that and one hour of private Skype practice.  I only recommend them because they were that legit (I'm not affiliated with them) - one stop shopping for the interview, and so worth it in my opinion (I consider their prep one of the main reasons I was accepted), but pricy, so if that's not feasible, google away and practice with friends :)

Hope that helps and good luck!

No prob, questions are the reason I made this thread :) The traditional and the MMI are different. The MMI is 8 minutes one on one, with problem solving, quotes, ethical scenarios and things like that. They are much less about you (though you are encouraged to mention personal things there) then the traditional is, which is two interviewers and you for 30 or 45 min (it was 30 last year). The traditional asks mostly about you, why are you interested in being a doctor, where do you see yourself in 10 years, etc.  Not sure how many they ask, but mine finished with about 5 min before the 30 min mark, and I just chatted with my interviewers and asked them questions.  I think MUN does 8 MMI sessions, and no role-playing or team sessions (like Dal does).  Google MMI prep and practice questions will come up, same with the traditional.  

I used on my third cycle (the one I got in): http://www.macadmissions.com. They are doing an 8 hour live web classroom November 2nd for the TaMMI, though the price is 750.00 for that and one hour of private Skype practice.  I only recommend them because they were that legit (I'm not affiliated with them) - one stop shopping for the interview, and so worth it in my opinion (I consider their prep one of the main reasons I was accepted), but pricy, so if that's not feasible, google away and practice with friends :)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Omg that was super helpful. Thank you!

Hi. I'm preparing the answer to "why doctor/tell me about yourself" and my answer is ~15min long. Is there a time limit for such question? Do you think it's too long? I'm going along the line of "rediscovering myself" (how I first wanted to just do research and later on felt the limitation of research and then later on discovered other aspects of patient care that I truly enjoyed and then switched to medicine). I feel like I'm just repeating what I wrote on my personal statement. And also I found myself spending quite a bit time on all the volunteering experiences and their details, which I'm not sure whether I need to mention them for this question (maybe save them for later???)

Hi. I'm preparing the answer to "why doctor/tell me about yourself" and my answer is ~15min long. Is there a time limit for such question? Do you think it's too long? I'm going along the line of "rediscovering myself" (how I first wanted to just do research and later on felt the limitation of research and then later on discovered other aspects of patient care that I truly enjoyed and then switched to medicine). I feel like I'm just repeating what I wrote on my personal statement. And also I found myself spending quite a bit time on all the volunteering experiences and their details, which I'm not sure whether I need to mention them for this question (maybe save them for later???)

15 min is probably too long.  The traditional, where that question will come up, is 30 min, and they are going to have more questions than that.  You want to show that you are good at being able to summarize, and be concise.  Structuring your answers are important too.  Don't spill out your app or CV here, just be hit the high points.  Your actual line about "rediscovering myself" (how I first wanted to just do research and later on felt the limitation of research and then later on discovered other aspects of patient care that I truly enjoyed and then switched to medicine) could literally work as the answer to that question.  Elaborate a little more, one one thing that really made you interested maybe, but also mention a hobby or fun thing you do.  There isn't a time limit, but they have a whole list of questions, and I think 5 minutes would be the MAX you would want to spend on one, and even that might be way to much.  They'll prompt you with lots of follow up, and that gives you a chance to get a good rapport with them :)

I'm scheduled for the morning session and must register at 8am. Approximately what time does the morning session finish?

Last year, it was going for 11am/1130am before the first crew got out. I was in the second group and we were waiting around for a long time before ours started! Prepare yourself for a long (but fun!) morning!

how would you approach the "what you see yourself in 10 years" question? If I am lucky enough to get a surgical residency spot, maybe I'll still be a resident after 10 years. Should I provide a detailed picture of a daily life of a senior resident, or should I be more general and say "I'll be able to handle cases more independently". (I'm sorry for these noobish questions. None of my family members are doctors, none of my friends are from doctor families, and this is my first interview round).

how would you approach the "what you see yourself in 10 years" question? If I am lucky enough to get a surgical residency spot, maybe I'll still be a resident after 10 years. Should I provide a detailed picture of a daily life of a senior resident, or should I be more general and say "I'll be able to handle cases more independently". (I'm sorry for these noobish questions. None of my family members are doctors, none of my friends are from doctor families, and this is my first interview round).

No, that's fine :) As for that question, definitely stay shallow.  Stay if your lucky enough you'll be a resident, and mention maybe looking at starting a family, getting a house, etc.  Don't give them too much detail - they don't expect you to know what a surgical resident does :)

I agree with Dalla's post! Don't get too specific.. your interviewer may be a surgeon and say geesh, my life isn't anything like that. I think it more means about you as a person. Are you hoping to be married with kids? Have a home? Learn a new language? Go on a volunteering mission overseas with new training? Are you hoping to be a business owner and starting your own practice? Think broad! And be honest.. Don't just tell them the things that you think they want to hear. They get those generic responses all of the time. Be genuine! That's what will stand out and your passion and interest for that is what will shine through  :)

Can you please give a run through of how the entire interview process goes? My understanding now is: 

- Sign in and you are given instructions

- Go to first MMI station (read the instructions on the door for 2 min) and then go in and talk about the topic for 6 minutes. Do the evaluators ask follow up questions or is it simply me talking for 6 minutes?

- Get out to next station (which we have 2 min for?). Then again begin the reading for 2 min + 6 min inside the door process. 

- Do the above 2 steps for 8 stations.

- Enter traditional interview room and a group of faculty members ask you questions (can you please elaborate more on this? eg. how many members interview you and how to introduce yourself [for ex, should I go from left to right shaking everyone's hand?] and how to conclude?)

- Exit traditional interview and you are done

Also as for preparation, I am planning on reading Doing Right, learning about Canadian healthcare (any resource suggestions?), and doing practise questions from Google searches. Do you recommend any other preparation steps?

Also to confirm, males should wear suit and tie throughout the entire MMI and traditional interview portions?

I apologize for asking so many questions! I appreciate answers to any of them :)

Can you please give a run through of how the entire interview process goes? My understanding now is: 

- Sign in and you are given instructions

- Go to first MMI station (read the instructions on the door for 2 min) and then go in and talk about the topic for 6 minutes. Do the evaluators ask follow up questions or is it simply me talking for 6 minutes?

- Get out to next station (which we have 2 min for?). Then again begin the reading for 2 min + 6 min inside the door process. 

- Do the above 2 steps for 8 stations.

- Enter traditional interview room and a group of faculty members ask you questions (can you please elaborate more on this? eg. how many members interview you and how to introduce yourself [for ex, should I go from left to right shaking everyone's hand?] and how to conclude?)

- Exit traditional interview and you are done

Also as for preparation, I am planning on reading Doing Right, learning about Canadian healthcare (any resource suggestions?), and doing practise questions from Google searches. Do you recommend any other preparation steps?

Also to confirm, males should wear suit and tie throughout the entire MMI and traditional interview portions?

I apologize for asking so many questions! I appreciate answers to any of them :)

No prob :) You've got it mostly right.  You might have the MMI or the trad first, I don't know which you will have, but we'll assume you'll have the MMI first.  You want to probably arrive a little early, sign in and drop your stuff off.  You'll spend about 30-50 min waiting and watching a video our class made, and then you'll be taken to your track.  You will have 2 minutes to read the prompt on the door and form an answer, and then you'll go in where one person will be, and you'll have 8 minutes to talk. You don't have to take the whole 8, they have prompt questions, and it's better to finish before then to repeat yourself.  Then you'll do that 7 (I think) more times, and then you'll have a little break before you are called to the trad.  That is 30 minutes with two interviewers who have not seen your file and they will ask questions about you (the MMI is less about you, but mention personal experiences as they relate in it).  Once the buzzer rings, you are done :)

Doing Right is a good book, and the CanMEDS roles are awesome words to name drop.  Some knowledge about recent healthcare issues (ebola, right to die peacefully movement as examples) would also be good, and a few legalities like age of consent and patient autonomy.  Definitely google practice questions, and practice them in front of a mirror or with another person timing yourself to see how long you are running.  

And yes, wear a suit all through the interview - they will red flag you if you strip naked mid interview ;) I kid, but yes, a suit is a must and a haircut is always a nice touch.  Think of it as a really big job interview.  Hope that helps, and good luck! 

Thank you so much for fantastic response :) I really appreciate it. To clarify, the 2 min to read the prompt includes the time to move from one station to the next? And the buzzer rings after 2 min and again after 8 min? Lastly, when I enter the room, do I introduce myself and then, simply begin talking or will the evaluator prompt me a question first (e.g "What are your opinions regarding this prompt?") and then I begin talking? 

Thank you so much for fantastic response :) I really appreciate it. To clarify, the 2 min to read the prompt includes the time to move from one station to the next? And the buzzer rings after 2 min and again after 8 min? Lastly, when I enter the room, do I introduce myself and then, simply begin talking or will the evaluator prompt me a question first (e.g "What are your opinions regarding this prompt?") and then I begin talking? 

No problem :) And yes, you have 2 minutes from the end buzzer of one station to the "go in buzzer" of the next. So you have two minutes to leave the room, and move to the door of the next one, but the doors are almost always right next to each other, transition time is basically nil.  The buzzer rings at the end of your session and to go in (so yes, at 8 min and for 2 min).  Also the prompt will be in the room if you forget something, so you can ask for a second to reread it or gather your thoughts.  My strategy for entering the room is go in, introduce yourself and shake hands.  Usually the prompter will ask "So, do you understand the prompt?/Or did you have time to read the prompt?" or something like that.  I suggest answering yes to the question and then saying, "To my understanding, the situation is..." and paraphrase the prompt back.  It's an easy way to show you can process and summarize info right off the bat, and if you have misunderstood the prompt, the person will tell you so you can readjust your answer right away, and not get into the wrong topic :) Hope that helps!

Hey della19,

I've been doing some research on Mun for my interview about the basic things that separate Mun from other schools, and I'm having some difficulties.

I know that they are heavily into genomics/genetics research, that the Rural Medical Education Network is a big deal and that they have a new medical building (with simulation labs), but I'm also wondering what else they are known for? Is there a certain residency speciality or global health program that they are known for? Anything like that? I'm just thinking ahead about the classic "why do you want to go to Mun specifically" question, and I want to have a more in-depth answer then just "because its a good, rural oriented school."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Connor

Hey della19,

I've been doing some research on Mun for my interview about the basic things that separate Mun from other schools, and I'm having some difficulties.

I know that they are heavily into genomics/genetics research, that the Rural Medical Education Network is a big deal and that they have a new medical building (with simulation labs), but I'm also wondering what else they are known for? Is there a certain residency speciality or global health program that they are known for? Anything like that? I'm just thinking ahead about the classic "why do you want to go to Mun specifically" question, and I want to have a more in-depth answer then just "because its a good, rural oriented school."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Connor

MUN is probably known for having a small class size (this seems like a thing that isn't really a thing, but it's nice to mention that you are "looking for an environment of collaboration not competition" or something), rural medicine (so any rural experience you have is a good talking point), aboriginal and refugee health, and family medicine.  But honestly, the "good, rural oriented school" thing if it's an interest of yours is probably the strongest MUN selling point.  If you're not into rural med don't lie and say you love it, but at least seem open to the idea of rural med.  Also Newfoundland is a place with a unique culture and super nice people, so you could mention wanting to live in Newfoundland (if you do want that!). Hope that helps :)

i'd say that mun has a great standardized patient program and medcareers shadowing opportunities.  lots of "patient" interaction. there's lots of support for undergraduate medical students in making decisions, partially because of the small class size as already mentioned and the fact that the school is in the hospital.

Thanks so much for all the answers everyone! Really appreciate it  :)

One last question...haha. If I interview at 12:00pm on the 15th, will I have time to make a 4:40pm flight? 

That...might be cutting it close.  I was in the afternoon and it ran late last year, and we didn't get out until 4:45.  They intend to get you out by 3:30 or 4:10 (depending on the order of your trad or MMI) and the airport is 15 min away from MUN, so it'd be really close.

That...might be cutting it close.  I was in the afternoon and it ran late last year, and we didn't get out until 4:45.  They intend to get you out by 3:30 or 4:10 (depending on the order of your trad or MMI) and the airport is 15 min away from MUN, so it'd be really close.

Ahhh that would be way too close. Looks like I'll have to get another flight! Thanks for the quick response della19 and Med30s

Archived