Premed 101 Forums

Help Calculating Gpa?

Hi guys, I've searched the forum for help with this but I'm only getting confused.

I was wondering if when converting grades onto the ORPAS scale if half credits and full credits get weighted differently? My school has a lot of half credit courses so it looks like I took ten classes a year versus the regular five that seems to be quoted on "how to calculate gpa" guides like this one further down in the slides. But then there's a mix of some full year credits because of different departments.

For example, first year I had an average of 75.8%, for a total of five credits.

• class one 0.5 credits  76 - 3.0
  • class two 0.5 credits  81 - 3.7
  • class three 1 credit  77 - 3.3
  • class four 1 credit  75 - 3.0
  • class five 1 credit 70 - 2.7 (don't take second year courses during your first year when still figuring out the university thing!)
  • class six 1 credit 76 - 3.0

Would my GPA for that year then be (3.0+3.7+3.3+3.0+2.7)/5 = 3.14?

Because this site (for dental school) suggests that full credits are weighted differently, and I was wondering if that applied to OT school or was this just some random site thing? 

Done that way it would be (3.0+3.7+[3.3*2]+[3.0*2]+[2.7*2]+[3.0*2])/10 = 3.07

But then posts like this from this forum suggests a different half/full credit weighting like this:

[(3.7*0.5)+(3.0*0.5)+(3.3*1)+(3.0*1)+(2.7*1)+(3.0*1)]/(0.5+0.5+1+1+1+1) = 3.21

Obviously that's a big difference, and I was hoping that someone could set me straight? Maybe I'm really far off, I don't know, the numbers are all starting to get to me. Thanks for the help!

Archived