Premed 101 Forums

Carms App - All The Extra Little Sections

Hey guys just wondering about the extra little sections on CARMS.

Are people just putting everything they can think of in for all the sections? My specific questions, should I put these on

• under achievments and interests - memberships CMA, ACFP, CPSA (stuff that you basically have to be a member of)
  • for language? I'm horrible at french but should i list this in the achievements and interests section. rather than the actual language section that seems to imply you're fluent
  • scholarly activity - the one journal watch I had to do as part of my elective? (I dont have any research, so this was the only thing I could think of for this section)

Thanks!

• under achievments and interests - memberships CMA, ACFP, CPSA (stuff that you basically have to be a member of)
  • for language? I'm horrible at french but should i list this in the achievements and interests section. rather than the actual language section that seems to imply you're fluent
  • scholarly activity - the one journal watch I had to do as part of my elective? (I dont have any research, so this was the only thing I could think of for this section)

- Yes, especially if it is specialty specific. Shows some interest in that field.

- If I would read that French part on an application I would count it as fluff without notable context. Only count it if you were part of a French club, did extra coursework in it, etc.

- Again, its should be meaningful. If you don't have research, you don't have research.

Think about the audience you are sending your app to. There are plenty of applications to filter through. Reaching and padding an application with one offs and small achievements does not make your application look better. It may hide your actual achievements and make you look somewhat desperate. 

Sorry to post in your thread but I have a related question. I have only worked as a research assistant so far. So, should I list these under work experience and list them again under scholarly work?

Also, under the scholarly work section, they say you can add any journal clubs attended etc But you do these anyways whenever you are part of a research work right? or did I read that wrong? Plus, how can you provide proof for journal clubs that you attended or grand rounds that you attended? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would leave off CMA and the licensing authorities unless your participation went beyond that of paying the membership fee (i.e. you were a student rep). Include ACFP since it shows interest in a specific area and presumably you took initiative to join.

If you wanted to qualify your language ability, you could list it as French (rudimentary). However, the CaRMS application states to only list languages you are fluent in, so include it as an interest in learning French, as you've said.

Not sure what a journal watch is. Outside of research, have you done any scholarly writing at all?

Hey guys just wondering about the extra little sections on CARMS.

Are people just putting everything they can think of in for all the sections? My specific questions, should I put these on

Thanks!

If you have very limited work experience, I suppose you can make a case for listing the position under work experience (emphasizing your duties) and again under scholarly work (emphasizing the scholarly output).

The wording in CaRMS refers to *participation* in journal clubs/rounds. While this is vague, I would think it seems less like padding if your participation went beyond attendance only. Accredited group learning activities will have sign-in sheets to record attendance.

Sorry to post in your thread but I have a related question. I have only worked as a research assistant so far. So, should I list these under work experience and list them again under scholarly work?

Also, under the scholarly work section, they say you can add any journal clubs attended etc But you do these anyways whenever you are part of a research work right? or did I read that wrong? Plus, how can you provide proof for journal clubs that you attended or grand rounds that you attended? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

thanks for the help guys!

The journal watch was a weekly small group session after rounds. And I did actually present. (palliative medicine at the grey nuns, edmonton if anyone else has done it too)

I only thought of adding it - since carms listed journal club/rounds in the scholarly activities section

If you have very limited work experience, I suppose you can make a case for listing the position under work experience (emphasizing your duties) and again under scholarly work (emphasizing the scholarly output).

The wording in CaRMS refers to *participation* in journal clubs/rounds. While this is vague, I would think it seems less like padding if your participation went beyond attendance only. Accredited group learning activities will have sign-in sheets to record attendance.

Thanks

Archived