Premed 101 Forums

A Little Bit Stumped On Queen's Personal Statement

Briefly describe other relevant activities that provide evidence of your involvement and leadership in increasing the well-being of individuals, groups or society in general. Include any awards for community service.

I'm struggling a little bit with this question. I know what it's asking but I don't help out at the local food bank nor have I raised any money for charity. I'd like to write something meaningful without sounding extremely cheesy and as if I'm beating around the bush. Can anyone share some thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

This question is basically any volunteer or extracurricular experiences that aren't directly related to the physiotherapy profession. For example, someone may have taken part in a healthy body image presentation, taught group exercise classes, relay for life campaign. If I'm not mistaken, any other opportunity that would help an individual or society that isn't directly related to physiotherapy can be discussed here.

So in everyone's opinion, is it better to write whatever you've currently done even if it falls short of 2000 characters, or BS a little bit so you've filled up the section completely? Volunteering related to physio is time consuming enough, along with being a student and working, which has left my unrelated community experience limited.

I would do my best NOT to lie as much as possible. I plan on applying to physio next year but I knew this guy who was applying for Medschool and he exaggerated his volunteer hours. The med school caught the lie at the interview from a series of questions and he got blacklisted from that medical school.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you have to put the dates/years you volunteered at the different places, or just hours? I've see only hours but wasn't sure if I missed anything, and I didn't want to waste any space by putting in unnecessary info! 

al3x, it's just any volunteer work that is unrelated to PT/rehab! (I work at a gym, for example, but I'm not too sure if that one would count)

Archived