Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Nursing Program And A Mom

moobalalala

I am considering applying to the UWO compressed time frame program and wondering if there is anyone in the program, or has taken it who has young children. How did you manage? Did you do well? My son will be only 18 months old if I was to get accepted for Sept 2015. I expect it to be challenging of course, I just wanted some insight as to class scheduling, course load etc and whether it is manageable with a baby.

Thanks a lot!

Hi! I didn't go to UWO nursing but I am currently in my final year of nursing in BC. I started when my daughter was only a year old and I was a single parent. Nursing is A LOT of work but you can definitely do well in it, even with the added commitment of a child. Course load is heavy, lot's of clinical, and it's hard to fit in any courses other than nursing. I have a 3.88/4.0 in it which of course I wish was higher but I do consider it a gap that I am proud of. You can pm me or ask me any more questions if you would like :)

After your first year you can work as a care aide making$17+/hr, and in second and third year you can work for $26+/hr as an employed student nurse which is awesome! (at least in BC this is true anyway).

Hope that helps

After your first year you can work as a care aide making$17+/hr, and in second and third year you can work for $26+/hr as an employed student nurse which is awesome! (at least in BC this is true anyway).

Hope that helps

That's interesting! I wonder if it's similar in Ontario... I'm applying to nursing this year and wasn't looking forward to having to find random jobs in the summer. 

I'm sure hoping it's doable with kids - mine'll be 3 and 1 when I start.

Archived