Premed 101 Forums

Too Late To Apply To Do?

Hi everyone,

I graduated from McMaster in June 2014 with a cGPA of 3.81 and MCAT score of PS 9/ VR 10/ BS 11. I have applied to Ontario medical schools, but I am nervous about not getting any interviews. 

I am thinking of applying to DO schools right now, in case med doesn't workout. But is it too late to apply now?? :confused:  I was considering applying to Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University and Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Pomona campus). These are the 2 Canadian friendly schools listed on PM101 with due dates of Jan 1, 2015 for their primary application.

Would anyone happen to know if these schools are a good choice for me, considering I am applying so late? Are there other schools that would give me a better chance?

I appreciate any help in this regard! Thank you :)

I never applied DO schools, just my 2 cents.

1. Your LizzyM score GPA * 10 + MCAT = 68.1 which is STRONG for DO schools (not very good for MD schools).

2. If your ECs are average or above, even applied late, since you're stronger candidate, you should have your chance.

I've applied to about 17 DO schools but some of the most Canadian-friendly DO schools include AZCOM, CCOM, WesternU-COMP, TouroCOM-NY, MSUCOM, UNECOM, NSU-COM, KCUMB-COM, LMU-DCOM, MU-COM. I'm pretty sure if you submit your AACOMAS right now and complete secondary applications as soon as you receive them you could definitely get in somewhere with your stats. Most of these schools interview as late as March 2015, but they do become more and more selective as time goes. Also, most DO schools have an emphasis on primary care, so I would suggest highlighting your experience with primary care in your applications.

And I would suggest applying early and broadly next year to US MD schools in the worst case you don't get into Ontario schools and prefer not to go the DO route, but this is just my opinion.

Archived