Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

Hi,

I have a 3.80 gpa (calculated with the uottawa way: 3x first most recent year + 2X second most recent year....). What are my chances of being accepted after the interview ? I mean, should I have an INCREDIBLE/AMAZING interview to be accepted?

I apply to the french stream, and I live in Gatineau. 

Thank you,

Vince.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your answer.

if after this year I got 3.80, does it worth it do do an additional year to boost my gpa? It would go up to 3.95 something like this. Does it make a difference for the french stream? (From gatineau region).

Thanks,

Vince

If your wGPA is a 3.95 you are more than good for the french stream, and even the english stream. The cut offs for Ottawa/Gatineau residents fore the English steam in order for them to look at your sketch has traditionally been 3.7, and I think just a bit lower for french.

Thank you! But can you answer my question please? Does it worth it to do an additional year to pass from 3.8 to 3.92-3.93 (something like that)? Or I'm okay with 3.8 and should stay with it?

Apply with the 3.80 while taking the additional year.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with the above post. uOttawa MD program is mostly a GPA numbers game pre-interview. The interview score eventually weighs 50% in the final decision. Considering how close people's GPA are when going into the interview, the panel interview will have a huge influence on the final ranking list as well. 

Can anyone else confirm this about the interview weight? 

My knowledge was that the interview was 100% with tied-interviews being broken with wGPA. 

Can anyone else confirm this about the interview weight? 

My knowledge was that the interview was 100% with tied-interviews being broken with wGPA. 

Technically you're both right, based on how I believe that it works. My understanding has been slightly refined by what goingplaid (uOttawa 2017) has stated on the forums.

Technically the interview is worth 50% because they add up the scores. If the WGPA is out of 4.0, then so is the interview. Interview scores can be 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, etc. So clearly somebody with a 3.5 interview can't be better than somebody with a 4.0 no matter how good their WGPA is.

So in essence, it works like you stated. Interviewees are placed in groups based on their interview scores, and the groups are ordered based on decreasing WGPA. If you follow the waitlist movement you can actually see this happening. The offers start higher and approach ~3.85 before rolling back to 4.0.

This is still conjecture on my part, and several other members on the forums, but we've got several years of 'data' to back it up.

Archived