Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Mmi Format

Hi, can anyone give me a breakdown of the MMI format?  I've interviewed at 2 different schools (UofC and NOSM) and both were different.  I know MB has 11 stations (10 one on one with an interviewer and 1 written with 1 break station) but am not sure of the following:

1. how long is each station

2. how much time is allotted to prepare for each station.

3. does the prep time for the next station begin as soon as you leave the room of the previous station?

4. can you write down notes/ideas about the next station and bring those notes in with you?

5. are there any "acting" stations where you have to interact with an interviewer in a given scenario and not just respond to a question/statement?

6. besides "how would you respond to this ethical delimma" questions, what other types do they typically have.  Are there any picture stations, "why do you want to be a dr" type stations, tell me a joke stations, etc.?

Thanks!

Hi Hoote,

I can answer some of your questions as I interviewed last year and i'm certain there are not going to be any major changes made to the format this year.

1. how long is each station

Each station is 8 minutes long.

2. how much time is allotted to prepare for each station.

You hypothetically (ill elaborate on this below) get 2 minutes to prepare for each station.

3. does the prep time for the next station begin as soon as you leave the room of the previous station?

The prep time for the next station begins as soon as it has been indicated that 8 minutes are over! Thus, for your first station and after the rest station you get the full minutes, after you obviously wont get the full 2 minutes.

4. can you write down notes/ideas about the next station and bring those notes in with you?

Yes, you get one sheet of paper to write down notes and ideas for the entirety of the MMI.

5. are there any "acting" stations where you have to interact with an interviewer in a given scenario and not just respond to a question/statement?

Last year we were explicitly told there would be no acting stations and there were no acting stations. If this changes i'm sure they will tell you at the applicant information session for the interview. I would suggest going to this session or watching the live cast. 

6. besides "how would you respond to this ethical delimma" questions, what other types do they typically have.  Are there any picture stations, "why do you want to be a dr" type stations, tell me a joke stations, etc.?

There are no picture stations, one should always be prepared for the "how do you want to be a Doctor question" even though I doubt that would be a station. There could be questions related to the medical system or current issues or topics relevant to medicine or debate questions.

Make sure you sign up for the mock MMI sessions the Med 1's conduct for the applicants if you are able to attend. I found it extremely helpful and reflective of the real MMI. 

Hope this helps!

Archived