Premed 101 Forums

Using Pre-2015 Material For Mcat 2015

Pharmaholic

Hey Everyone,

So I wrote the MCAT in 2012 and have the entire set of TPR study books. I was wondering if it was wiser to:

- order an entire EK or TPR bookset off of Chapters and start fresh

OR

- buy Kaplans Biochemistry and TPR/EK Sociology/Psych books and use my old material from 2012.

To provide a more focused approach to choosing, can anyone provide any insight if a TPR or EK bookset would be better? I'm thinking EK bc I have a pretty solid basis in Cell bio/mol bio/physics/orgo/biochem, need a little more work on Gen chem/anatomy/Verbal and need extensive Soc/psych material.

Thanks

Pharmaholic

If you go over the outline for the old physics and physical chem and new physics and physical chem sections, you'll find that the content is pretty much the same... They say that the new section places more emphasis on the application of the principles to living systems or the human body, but both the old and new have Newtonian physics, stuff on gas phases, fluids, sound, light, electrostatics, nuclear decay, etc. etc. 75% of stuff tested on the new MCAT will be related to content from the old MCAT, apparently!

As Jason88 says, though, because there are new sections the physics and chemistry will be de-emphasised on the new MCAT. (Can be good or bad, depending on if you're particularly adept at physics or not!) If you have a solid basis in the physical chem, bio, and biochem aspects, though, then it sounds like your second option might work out okay!

As with any advice on here though... None of us can tell you what is the 'right' choice! With your background knowledge, I imagine you won't have a hard time with the material in sociology and psychology.  :)

Archived