Premed 101 Forums

Carms Interview Prep

xx506

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

Just a few questions about the CaRMS interview tour…This might seem like a stupid question, but how many suits do you need for the interviews (lets say I go to like 10-15 interviews). I'm guessing there won't be time to dry clean in between interviews right? So would I need like 3 suits?

Second, do programs ask medical questions (like pimping to assess knowledge) during the interviews?

Third, how do people generally prepare for interviews? Are there any prep books that list practice questions? What should I be doing to prepare?

Finally, how much does the CaRMS tour cost in total on average, if I'm going across the country? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

Just a few questions about the CaRMS interview tour…This might seem like a stupid question, but how many suits do you need for the interviews (lets say I go to like 10-15 interviews). I'm guessing there won't be time to dry clean in between interviews right? So would I need like 3 suits?

Second, do programs ask medical questions (like pimping to assess knowledge) during the interviews?

Third, how do people generally prepare for interviews? Are there any prep books that list practice questions? What should I be doing to prepare?

Finally, how much does the CaRMS tour cost in total on average, if I'm going across the country? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Suits: I think two suits is enough. You'll have the time to dry clean one suit while out on interview with the other. Not all your interviews will one after the other so you will have time clean it. Also, if you don't mess up while eating, you should be able to wear the same suit 2 or 3 times before cleaning. The important is to have enough dress shirts (maybe 4-5) because you'll need to change those everyday because of sweat. 

Pimp questions: It depends on the program. Some programs don't ask any, another gave me a clinical case and asked me to give my differential diagnosis, investigation and treatment plan, and another asked me to draw the shoulder joint. Someone posted a link to a spreadsheet with questions asked by the different programs if you don't want any surprise (see below). Also, many programs will ask questions about ethics and proffessionalism, so be prepared for that.

Preparing interviews: Look on the website of your medical school, you should find an example of interview questions to prepare. If there is not, I found some on the McGill's website: http://www.mcgill.ca/medcareerplan/files/medcareerplan/residency_interview_strategies_class2011.pdf. Also someone posted a spreadsheet with questions asked by the different programs:  https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Take the time to read the questions and try to answer them. It's really useful if you don't want to look like an idiot trying to remember the last time you were mad at someone for example. Try to prepare for as much questions as you can, but remember that you cannot predict all the questions they can possibly ask. I also find it useful to have a practice session with a friend a few days before the interview (usually at a pub with good beer).

Archived