Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Both Ot And Pt Help

No one can tell you for a fact because I don't think anyone here is on the student selection panel.

I can tell you this however, both OT and PT are rehabilitation science programs and are similar with regards to their missions, values, and goals. I don't think applying to both would make it seem as your application to one contradicts the other. I myself have applied to OT/PT at UofT, Mac, Western, and Queens. I'm interested in rehabilitation sciences as a future career and wouldn't mind a career in PT or OT which is why I applied to both.

In fact, if you read the ORPAS manual/booklet Mac asks students to send a $90 cheque if they plan on applying to both programs. Explicitly mentioning that on the manual just shows that this isn't a rare occurrence. They don't seem to mind it and they don't seem to care, if anything it all they would probably welcome it because they would have a bigger student pool to pick from. 

Don't take my word for it but that was my 2 cents.

I would suggest really being sure of your interest in the field of Occupational Therapy before applying.  It is not the same as PT, it is a lot of time, effort and money to spend on something if you're not really sure it's something you want to do.  If you're really passionate about PT I would even suggest it would be better to apply more than once in order to get into that program, rather than be unsatisfied in a program that is only slightly related to the field you want to be in.  Also as a side note many schools do not come outright and say that they discourage applicants from applying to both, but many do take it into consideration when making acceptances. 

Applying to both won't hurt your chances! And FYI, at least at Mac, there are some students on the admissions committee. I was actually asked in one of my interview stations if I had applied to both and why/why not. This can work against you at Mac depending on how you answer if you are obvious in that what you are interviewing for isn't your first choice.

As a student OT to another future OT/PT.. I am extremely passionate about OT. Therefore, I disagree with those who apply to both as well. I can't stress enough on how PT and OT are completely different career paths. Just because they are both "rehab" sciences does not mean they are similar and I disagree with the poster above in that people will be fine with either one. If you think that, you might as well apply for a MSc in research for rehab science too. I believe they don't outrightly say it as well, but I do think it matters in your application. Your passion (or lack thereof) will influence your ability to succeed in the program.

Archived