Premed 101 Forums

Aboriginal Mmi Topics And Questions

Aboriginal Health in Canada is an amazing book! Also, look up articles on the effects of colonization on their health; so many issues associated with it so there may be some articles that cover the concept more generally too.

To be honest, while I have no experience with MMI or USask, I'd suggest you just find some current event info on whats going on in Canada with aboriginal communities and try to discuss them for 8-10 mins. Lot of people I know have been saying to even just read the heading of a newspaper article and see how much you could can talk about what they mean, possible topics of discussion, how it relates to other things, etc. without even reading the article. 

Watch the documentary "the 8th fire". It's a four part doc on cbc that you can streaming. It dicusses issues facing aboriginal people today and it's really well done. I have a masters in aboriginal health and Its a resource that I recommend to a lot of people.

A really interesting current event to think about is the recent cases of the two young Aboriginal girls who have refused chemotherapy treatment in favour of alternative medicine at a Florida health resort called the Hippocrates Health Institute, which they view as complementing traditional Indigenous medicine. I doubt an MMI question would be that complex, but there are definitely some important themes and concepts in it. 

• 1 month later...

Read "A Healthy Society" by Ryan Meili. It's well written, although pretty political. Written by a Sask GP it touches on a lot of the challenges to Saskatchewan (and Canadian) Healthcare, particularly for Aboriginal people and people in poverty. Even if you don't agree with his politics, a lot of it is a really good read and he has interesting stories from working in the WestSide Community Clinic in Saskatoon (the "poor" side of the city) and draws parallels to working in a community in Mozambique.

Archived