Premed 101 Forums

Preclinical Grades And Derm

Hi,

I'm a MS3 in Sherbrooke. I recently developed an interest for dermatology after an elective last september. I have bad preclinical grades (B-/C+) average and every derm program (especially in Quebec) seems to be asking above-average grades. I have above-average clinical grades and an excellent evaluation for my derm elective. Should I just give up on it? Is there anything I can really do?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi,

I'm a MS3 in Sherbrooke. I recently developed an interest for dermatology after an elective last september. I have bad preclinical grades (B-/C+) average and every derm program (especially in Quebec) seems to be asking above-average grades. I have above-average clinical grades and an excellent evaluation for my derm elective. Should I just give up on it? Is there anything I can really do?

Thanks!

Andy

You never can't really know for sure how much they value your preclinical grades vs. you clinical evaluations. I'd say try it anyway, but give yourself a safe 2nd choice and be ready for that 2nd choice. It is only 30$ per application on carms, so you are not loosing anything by trying. Try to keep contact with your derm supervisor, and if possible go do some clinics with him/her if you can find the time througout your other rotations. This show you are really motivated and could really in a really strong recommendation letter.

Comme on dit: "Qui n'essaie rien n'a rien!"

If you're an MS3 in Sherbrooke, how could you have any clinical/elective grades ? First rotation is not even done lol...

In any case, just focus on performing well in clerkshi0p, get good letters, and get yourself known among programs. As Tigars said, 30$ per application is worth the try.

Archived