Premed 101 Forums

Chances At Us Md Admission W/ Low Mcat, Good Gpa

Simmba

I just received my latest MCAT score and although it was my most balanced score overall, it was a much lower composite score than I had expected. I scored a 11 PS/ 9 VR/ 10 BS for a composite of 30. This leaves me as not being very competitive for Ontario schools, other than Toronto. 

So just wanted some feedback on my situation for US MD schools:

- Graduated undergrad June 2014

- MCAT-30, cGPA-3.91, sGPA-haven't calculated but will be higher

- 2 publications (1 1st author, 1 4th author) 

- Presently working on another manuscript as a 1st author 

- 5 conference presentations

- Multiple research jobs and diverse work experience in leadership and community engagement 

- Various long-term volunteering roles

- Multiple academic and extracurricular awards and honours 

I am beginning to look into the MCAT 2015 to widen my OOP applications for the next application cycle and hopefully improve my chances at starting medical school in fall 2016.

Realistically, what are my chances at mid to low-tier MD US schools, with my present stats? I plan on applying at the earliest possible time that AMACS allows, but I'm sure other students will lower stats will be doing the same. 

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Just my 2 cents,

You will be a good MD candidate not only Toronto but also Ottawa, McGill, UBC, Dalhousie, Alberta, etc in Canada.

McMaster also have a chance if you aced on Casper.

For AMCAS application, since your LizzyM score = GPA*10 + MCAT = 69.1, put you on the lower to middle schools, you should apply 1st day and completed primary application asap in June to increase your chance to get interview. Here's a list schools that you should apply to:

Oakland, Wayne state, Kentucky, SUNY-upstate, NYMC, Albert Einstein, Jefferson, Case Western, Rosalind.

Good luck!

How many other attempts have you made, and with what scores? USMD schools may not like that you peaked at a 30 after multple attempts, but apply broadly and hope for the best. If the rest of your app is in order and you are on the ball with applying early you may still have some luck!

Considering this was my second attempt - would you think a better score from a third attempt would really increase my chances? Or do multiple attempts raise flags for adcoms?

I'm heavily considering the MCAT 2015 but the lack of practice exams and less prep material is quite nerve wracking.

Considering this was my second attempt - would you think a better score from a third attempt would really increase my chances? Or do multiple attempts raise flags for adcoms?

I'm heavily considering the MCAT 2015 but the lack of practice exams and less prep material is quite nerve wracking.

Going down from a 32 to a 30 won't be looked at in a good light, especially by USMD schools. Better to retake a 3rd time and knock it out of the park  but it really depends if you have just peaked or something bad happened the day of. Otherwise take it on the chin and improve other areas of your application. It will be an uphill battle though, but maybe someone will give you a shot at an interview. 

Archived