Premed 101 Forums

Teaching Mcat

yons36

You need a strong MCAT score, but more importantly, you have to be a excellent teacher to work for Prep101. They only hire through competitive auditions (you have to actually lecture to 15-20 evaluating students, and your score there very much reflects whether or not you get hired). As for pay, it is very good (2-3x more than TPR/Kaplan depending on experience). Prep time is also very reasonable - Prep101 uses ExamKrackers, so you have to be prepared to review the In-Class Exams in detail, but they also use classroom companions which contain all the material + MCAT practice problems you will actually teach during class. You are not expected to prepare additional materials to teach from and yes, you are hired for the specific MCAT section(s) you are an expert at.  

Take a look at the following to get an idea of the qualifications needed to teach for Prep101. It is a great company to work for:

http://www.prep101.com/mcat/instructors/

Anyone know when it would be a good time to apply? I'm looking to teach in the summer (sometime between May - Aug). Should I have submitted by application by a certain date? I've only applied to TPR so far and was told they're really behind and are still doing evaluations from last year's instructors and probably won't get around to sorting resumes for a while...

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that Prep101 is a great company to work for. I've had nothing but good experiences.

You have to remember that your hourly pay rate doesn't apply to prep hours, and you do have to put a good amount of time in to do a good job, but it's more than generous enough to cover prep as well. Your first year teaching will require the most prep work, but you don't have to create teaching materials because that's all provided.

I'm not sure when you'd need to apply by- the year I started working from them they started recruiting around this time, and my "audition" was at the beginning of May.  

They've been super flexible with me for scheduling as well. My first year I was in grad school full time so I didn't want to be teaching every evening and weekend, but this past year I had graduated and was able to get as many hours as I wanted. I've had to travel for a conference during the course as well and they shuffled the schedule around so that my classes were while I was available. 

• 1 month later...

Archived