Premed 101 Forums

Matching To Psych

Hello,

I've recently decided to go for psych and had some questions.

1) Last year psych seemed to become much more competitive, Is there any reason for this?

2) I started applying and thinking of what electives to do next year.

-my thoughts were 3 weeks psych emerg Ottawa (I really the like the preceptor and psych emerg, Ottawa is also my first choice)

- 3 weeks at mcmaster in mood and anxiety (my second choice)

2 weeks Toronto in addictions

2 weeks family in Halifax (I really like family)

Is this a reasonable plan? Should I do all 2 week electives instead of 3? Would this elective prevent me from using family as a backup?

Thanks,

Alex

It seems reasonable to me, not knowing what your school's elective requirements are.

We had 16 weeks but could only do 12 in one discipline, so I did 12 in psych, and 4 in other things.

I did three two-week electives and one four-week elective.  I think two weeks was sufficient to get a feel for the program (particularly because I made time to talk to residents and asked to go to resident teaching and things like that), but I am glad I did the four-week elective because it was at a program that is either my #1 or my #2 and I really wanted to make sure I got a good feel for it.  Plus I got really tired of changing every two weeks and it was nice to really feel on the ball and competent by week 3-4.  Similarly, I got the sense that my preceptors appreciated getting to spend a longer time with a single student rather than having to orient someone new.

In my personal experience after having done my electives, two weeks is fine to see a program and let them see you - but if you're really interested in somewhere, it's nice to spend a little longer.

Psych is nice because it's a bit less competitive still, so you don't have to focus on squeezing the maximum possible face time at the maximum number of programs out of your electives weeks and can choose to do a couple longer ones (or, anyway, I did).

Just my opinion though - some people think anything > 2 weeks is a waste of time.

Hello,

I've recently decided to go for psych and had some questions.

1) Last year psych seemed to become much more competitive, Is there any reason for this?

-my thoughts were 3 weeks psych emerg Ottawa (I really the like the preceptor and psych emerg, Ottawa is also my first choice)

Is this a reasonable plan? Should I do all 2 week electives instead of 3? Would this elective prevent me from using family as a backup?

Thanks,

Alex

This is a good approach and very similar to the one I took.

3 weeks CL/shared care in Ottawa

2 weeks adult inpatient in London

3 weeks family med in Ottawa

2 weeks CL at McMaster

and then I did 2 weeks post deadline of Psych Emerge at Toronto.

I did not apply for family, but got all the psych interviews I applied to and matched to where I wanted to be.

I do think Psych is getting slightly more competitive. Good lifestyle, good colleagues, mental health awareness is on the up and the ability set up shop/get academic appointments almost everywhere. However, it still isn't terribly competitive. If you do a few electives in it, have a decent application otherwise, and are somewhat likeable, you'll match within your top few choices 9 times out of 10. There's always the story of that one person who slid way down the list, but for now, that's much more the exception than the rule. 

Good luck!

1. Psych alternates in its level of competitiveness. Some years spots go unmatched everywhere except Toronto/McGill/UBC, and some years just about every English spot in Canada is filled in the first round. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell. Psych is still consistently a relatively uncompetitive program, even in competitive years.

2. Sounds good. I think that Psych programs will care about (1) that you've done enough psych to show that you have a genuine interest, and (2) schools will like it if you have done a local elective. Neither will make or break you, though. I don't think 2 vs 3 week electives makes a difference, except if it gives you better or worse reference letters.

Archived