Premed 101 Forums

Question fo Moo (which school to apply?? still any chances?

Guest Parii

Hi Moo,

thak you so much for giving me some idea about which schools may be realistic to apply. I have sent a primary application to the following schools:

1. UCLA

2. GW at DC

3. UCSD

4. UCSF

5. UC Davis school of medicine

6. UC Irvine

To be honest with you, I really didn't know where I may have better/ or any chances of even getting an interview. I live in BC and have finished a BSc in 2004 and am doing research jobs now. My GPA is 3.62 and have a number of publications and quite strong EC. My MCAT is pretty bad 25R. I know that the deadline for most of these schools are gone, but do you have any advice about anywhere I could still apply? As you suggested: I have checked off UCSD (they don't want international; I can't believe I missed that!!), and UCSF.

Thank you so much moo. You don't know how much I appreciate this!

Pari

I know you'll hate me saying this but the only realistic shot you have with those stats will be GW--and that is by no means guaranteed. Forget about the UCs. I think only SF and LA accept internationals and your stats are not good enough to make the secondary cut-off. Four years ago, I had a 3.8, mid thirties MCAT and still did not get a secondary from SF, and got rejected post-secondary from LA.

THe only way you will have a shot at the UCs is if you are a US citizen but these schools will still be a stretch, especially if you are not a Cali resident.

If you have a great desire to be in Cali for whatever reason (location, family, etc.) there are two DO schools that accept Canadians--Touro in SF and Western in Pomona (near LA). You will have a more realistic shot at those schools. If you are interested in osteopathic medicine I suggest you head on over to forums.studentdoctor.net to read through the osteopathic forums or look at one of the stickies on this forum. Good luck.

Archived