Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Family Medicine

drake19

Hi everyone: I have an interview at McGill Feb. 5 for family medicine - and while I was on the carms tour from ontario to B.C. quite a few students I talked to said that McGill doesn't accept that many out of province / non-Francais students for FM....is that true? Because I am debating whether or not to even go to that interview if that's the case... I was not able to find statistics regarding out-of-province acceptances into their residency program.

I was talking to an attending about this 2 days ago, who interviews applicants. He said the programme is looking for diversity, although he didn't tell me numbers of course.

A good tip: it's better if you already speak French, but if you don't, show willingness to learn. (he said that himself)

Good luck!

It's good to hear they are looking for "diversity" but some stats would be nice...i.e. when I was in Saskatoon they were like yeah this is a "diverse city" and I looked at the demographics pretty much mostly Caucasian with a significant First Nations population and a tiny percentage of other minorities.

this entire carms tour has been discouraging.....all interviews I've been on they invite hundreds of people for a mere handful of spots per stream...i.e. @Saskatoon example they invited at least 50-80 people each interview day (4 interview days total)..and it was for a mere 8-9 spots...@Mcmaster they have many interview days (each day has 2 sessions, each session with a full banquet hall)...some MAC sites only accept like 1-2 people....when I was interviewing at these places seeing the sheer number of people I was like wtf residency is harder to get into than medical school only that the pool is much smarter

There are hundreds of FM spots around the country; hence the large volume of interviewees. In smaller disciplines you tend to see the same people over and over, even if there might be 60-70 present for interviews and only 4-5 spots. 

Most programs want a mix of local grads and people from away - sometimes there is even a tendency to fill the majority of spots with people from other schools. 

It's good to hear they are looking for "diversity" but some stats would be nice...i.e. when I was in Saskatoon they were like yeah this is a "diverse city" and I looked at the demographics pretty much mostly Caucasian with a significant First Nations population and a tiny percentage of other minorities.

this entire carms tour has been discouraging.....all interviews I've been on they invite hundreds of people for a mere handful of spots per stream...i.e. @Saskatoon example they invited at least 50-80 people each interview day (4 interview days total)..and it was for a mere 8-9 spots...@Mcmaster they have many interview days (each day has 2 sessions, each session with a full banquet hall)...some MAC sites only accept like 1-2 people....when I was interviewing at these places seeing the sheer number of people I was like wtf residency is harder to get into than medical school only that the pool is much smarter

You have to remember that many people attending these FM interviews have FM as a backup. Also, remember that IMGs attend the same interview days as some CMGs, but they are competing for different spots.

You have to remember that many people attending these FM interviews have FM as a backup. Also, remember that IMGs attend the same interview days as some CMGs, but they are competing for different spots.

Except for Ontario Family since IMGs have separate interviews. It's all CMG and American Grads on those days.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Government of Quebec has passed the healthcare reform bill 10 --> google "healthcare reform quebec"

as far as FM docs go, they'll be overworked (with the new minimum quota) and underpaid

Bill 10 has to do with bureaucracy

Bill 20 which has not passesd is intended to overwork FM docs

Archived