Premed 101 Forums

Chances At American Md School

t0ny

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or input on my chances for American MD schools. Here's a brief summary of me:

Graduated with a Major in Biochemistry May 2014, Currently doing a second bachelors in Exercise Science since September 2014

cGPA: ~ 3.55

sGPA: ?? not sure 

MCAT: 2013/09/04: 31 (12/9/10)

2014/09/07: 33 (13/8/12)

EC:

1) Pharmacy Lab technician 5+ Years

2) Tutoring Highschool and University Students for 4 years

3) Schizophrenia  Research for 5 months no pub. 

4) Pancreatic Cancer Research for 4 months no pub. 

5) Volunteer at old folks home ~100 hours

6) Medical Mission trip to Tanzania for ~ 5 weeks

7) Medical Internship in Thailand for ~3 weeks

8) Sports such as hockey, etc..

Awards: McGill Integrated Cancer Research Training Program Grant (~2000$)

So basically I wanted to know IF i have any fair chance at MD programs in the states. I would be able to submit my applications as early as possible. Also if I do have a chance, any help on a school list would be great. Thanks in advance!

Just my 2 cents,

1. Your LizzyM score = GPA * 10 + MCAT = 68.5, put you in the lower to middle tiers MD schools in USA.

2. If you applied to DO schools in USA, you will be the TOP GUN.

3. Here're some Canadian friendly MD schools in USA that you should apply to,

-SUNY-upstate, Albert Einstein, NYMC, Oakland, Wayne State, Kentucky, Jefferson,

4. 3.55 GPA is low, but McGill's 3.55 maybe weight a little more in USA.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or input on my chances for American MD schools. Here's a brief summary of me:

Graduated with a Major in Biochemistry May 2014, Currently doing a second bachelors in Exercise Science since September 2014

cGPA: ~ 3.55

sGPA: ?? not sure 

MCAT: 2013/09/04: 31 (12/9/10)

2014/09/07: 33 (13/8/12)

EC:

1) Pharmacy Lab technician 5+ Years

2) Tutoring Highschool and University Students for 4 years

3) Schizophrenia  Research for 5 months no pub. 

4) Pancreatic Cancer Research for 4 months no pub. 

5) Volunteer at old folks home ~100 hours

6) Medical Mission trip to Tanzania for ~ 5 weeks

7) Medical Internship in Thailand for ~3 weeks

8) Sports such as hockey, etc..

Awards: McGill Integrated Cancer Research Training Program Grant (~2000$)

So basically I wanted to know IF i have any fair chance at MD programs in the states. I would be able to submit my applications as early as possible. Also if I do have a chance, any help on a school list would be great. Thanks in advance!

Seeing as it is verbal that is dragging your MCAT down, you may not be as disadvantaged overall- due to strong science scores.

The GPA is a bit low for MD, but like the above poster said, you may get a benefit of the doubt with your strong science scores. 

I would apply anyways first thing when the cycle opens, to not do so would be suicide with your "underdog" stats. 

I would agree to also apply to some USDO schools as well, as you should have a good shot at those - but again, nothings a guarantee especially amongst the more selective ones.

Just my 2 cents,

1. Your LizzyM score = GPA * 10 + MCAT = 68.5, put you in the lower to middle tiers MD schools in USA.

2. If you applied to DO schools in USA, you will be the TOP GUN.

3. Here're some Canadian friendly MD schools in USA that you should apply to,

-SUNY-upstate, Albert Einstein, NYMC, Oakland, Wayne State, Kentucky, Jefferson,

4. 3.55 GPA is low, but McGill's 3.55 maybe weight a little more in USA.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm kind of ballparking my cGPA as i haven't tallied exactly what it would be so I decided to air on the lower estimate. I might apply to some USDO schools but the process on coming back to Canada as a DO is still not cemented as I've understood so far. Are there any other US schools I should add?

Seeing as it is verbal that is dragging your MCAT down, you may not be as disadvantaged overall- due to strong science scores.

The GPA is a bit low for MD, but like the above poster said, you may get a benefit of the doubt with your strong science scores. 

I would apply anyways first thing when the cycle opens, to not do so would be suicide with your "underdog" stats. 

I would agree to also apply to some USDO schools as well, as you should have a good shot at those - but again, nothings a guarantee especially amongst the more selective ones.

Thanks for the response. Yeah Verbal has been my Achilles' heel. Managed to boost up my science scores and somehow Verbal went down 1 point. I don't see an advantage however in retaking the MCAT a 3rd time as 33 is a decent composite score. 

Any additional advice on possibly EC i should work on? or maybe schools to add to the list. 

Just my personal opinions,

1. DO is a real medical doctor degree in USA, If I can't get into MD this cycle, I'll apply to DO next cycle.

2. Your ECs are much BETTER than mine, I don't know how can you improve your ECs.

3. Add schools from Canadian friendly list on this forum that average gpa <= 3.75 AND mcat < 34. AMCAS is my backup plan, so I only applied a few schools near Ottawa, you should apply 20+ schools from AMCAS to improve your chance for interviews.

4. Essays, reference and the overall quality of your application are as important as your GPA and MCAT (writing your ECs is as important as doing your ECs)

If I'm in your shoes, I will do

1. Find MD schools in Canada that you meet their two years GPA cut-off (hope you have two years 3.7 GPA)

(Queen's, Western Ontario, Dalhousie, Calgary, etc have two years GPA that you may meet.)

2. Move to other province for in-province status, maybe your 3.55 GPA is good enough there (Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan,etc.)

3. Email to each MD schools in Canada to find out how your McGill GPA convert to their school's GPA or percentage system, as I know, McGill's "A" is 93% at Saskatchewan, not 89%, McGill's "A" is 4.5 at Manitoba, not 4.0. McGill is the only university in Canada using AMCAS/OMSAS 4.0 GPA system. In Canada, no university is using 4.0 GPA system except McGill. After dropping your worst 8 courses, maybe your Manitoba weight GPA is 4.25 or something like that.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm kind of ballparking my cGPA as i haven't tallied exactly what it would be so I decided to air on the lower estimate. I might apply to some USDO schools but the process on coming back to Canada as a DO is still not cemented as I've understood so far. Are there any other US schools I should add?

Thanks for the response. Yeah Verbal has been my Achilles' heel. Managed to boost up my science scores and somehow Verbal went down 1 point. I don't see an advantage however in retaking the MCAT a 3rd time as 33 is a decent composite score. 

Any additional advice on possibly EC i should work on? or maybe schools to add to the list. 

The process of coming back as a DO is exactly the same as an MD who completed an ACGME residency in the US. Identical. 

The process of coming back as a DO is exactly the same as an MD who completed an ACGME residency in the US. Identical. 

Yes, but residency and visa's can be complicated and limited for speciaties are they not? Whereas if you do MD you can do a Canadian residency and apply just like and Canadian med grad vs as an IMG...

Yes, but residency and visa's can be complicated and limited for speciaties are they not? Whereas if you do MD you can do a Canadian residency and apply just like and Canadian med grad vs as an IMG...

DO's are considered IMG in Ontario but CMG in BC and Manitoba. That said, matching in Canadian residencies as DO is very unlikely. Additionally, DO bias is still present though likely fading with the AOA/ACGME merger. Coupled this with the visa restrictions, some competitive specialties are usually off-limit to Canadian DO's. Ultimately however, DO's are still much better routes than any other international medical schools.

Just my personal opinions,

1. DO is a real medical doctor degree in USA, If I can't get into MD this cycle, I'll apply to DO next cycle.

2. Your ECs are much BETTER than mine, I don't know how can you improve your ECs.

3. Add schools from Canadian friendly list on this forum that average gpa <= 3.75 AND mcat < 34. AMCAS is my backup plan, so I only applied a few schools near Ottawa, you should apply 20+ schools from AMCAS to improve your chance for interviews.

4. Essays, reference and the overall quality of your application are as important as your GPA and MCAT (writing your ECs is as important as doing your ECs)

If I'm in your shoes, I will do

1. Find MD schools in Canada that you meet their two years GPA cut-off (hope you have two years 3.7 GPA)

(Queen's, Western Ontario, Dalhousie, Calgary, etc have two years GPA that you may meet.)

2. Move to other province for in-province status, maybe your 3.55 GPA is good enough there (Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan,etc.)

3. Email to each MD schools in Canada to find out how your McGill GPA convert to their school's GPA or percentage system, as I know, McGill's "A" is 93% at Saskatchewan, not 89%, McGill's "A" is 4.5 at Manitoba, not 4.0. McGill is the only university in Canada using AMCAS/OMSAS 4.0 GPA system. In Canada, no university is using 4.0 GPA system except McGill. After dropping your worst 8 courses, maybe your Manitoba weight GPA is 4.25 or something like that.

Just a question, when you talk about LizzyM scores and where you fall, those are for American Citizens and not Canadians right? 

Archived