Premed 101 Forums

so here's my problem

Guest arachniphobic730

Guest arachniphobic730

i graduated from school here in ontario this past year, and after being rejected from the canadian med schools i applied to, i thought about applying to grad school. the thing is, i don't really want to do research, and medicine is something i really want to do...so i am looking to taking this coming year off and apply to schools in the states.

however, i feel like because my gpa is ~3.5 i'm at such a disadvantage of getting into a decent school. i did alright on the mcat i wrote a while ago (32Q), and i have a broad range of extracurriculars (i think).

my first question is, which schools do you people think i'll have a good shot in? i don't want to waste money on schools that i'll have absolutely no chance in...

and my second question is, how much does the AMCAS essay figure?

thanks for all your input :D

-arachniphobic730

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilitvino

Hey, you actually have an ok score and GPA for most US med schools. You definately don't want to apply to any of the state schools-- you won't get in. Their primary mission is to train people, who will remain in that given state. Here is my short list of schools that I think you will be competitive at:

George Washington U (D.C.)

Tufts U (Boston, MA)

Boston U (Boston, MA)

Creighton U (Omaha, Nebraska)

Eastern VA (Norfolk, VA)

Jefferson (Philly, PA)

Drexel U (Philly, PA)

Mt. Sinai (NYC, NY)

NY Med College (Valhala, NY)

Temple U (Philly, PA)

U Rochester (Rochester, NY)

U Southern Calif (LA, CA)

Finch U (Chicago), Loyola U (Chicago), Rush U (Chicago) - check if they are aceepting foreign applications.

Also, stay away from "historically Affrican-American schools".

Regards,

Ivan

Guest magicbullet57

hey ilitvino (or anyone who knows the ansewer),

do you know if the UC (univeristy of california) system is considered a state system? UCs are public so i'm assuming they're goin' to favor their own state residents?

Guest ilitvino

Yep, Texas, New York and California are the three states that really have their own "system" of medical schools. They are public and some of the schools will not even consider foreign applications.

Regards,

Ivan

Of the UCs, UCLA will consider Canadians. UCSF will also consider you, but it is highly doubtful you will get in. When I applied, they told me they hadn't taken any international students in over 10 years (this was back in 2001). The others--UCD, UCI, UCSD--I believe will not consider international students.

Guest DoNair

According to the 2006-2007 MSAR, the following schools do not accept international students:

Drexel U (Philly, PA)

Temple U (Philly, PA)

U Rochester (Rochester, NY)

Loyola U (Chicago), Rush U (Chicago)

So cross those off your list.

Guest VwDubber

As someone who went through the last AMCAS application cycle, I can confirm that Rochester does not accept Canadians. The closest US med school to the Ontario border which does accept Canadians is SUNY-Upstate (approx. 3-3.5 hrs away from Toronto by car).

G'Luck :)

Correction, I think the closest is Wayne State, in Detroit. According to my friend who goes there, there are about 30 Canadians in his class! A sizeable amount, even though the class is huge (over 200).

Guest ilitvino

DoNair, thank you for the update on Drexel U, Temple U and Rochester.

Wayne State is close to Ontario, no doubt about it. However, it is a state school and, therefore, they will heavily favor in-state residents. Plus, would any sane Canadian agree to live in a sh... hole like Detroit? yak. :-))

Ivan

Guest studentz

You could add tulane to that list (it's in New Orleans:) ).

The Texas system does take Canadians, at least UTSW does and it's a damn good school but your GPA will be low for there. I wouldn't waste time and money applying to the UCs. As has been said, UCSF is damn near impossible for out-of-state applicants, let alone foreigners. UCLA will consider foreigners, but it is also extremely competitive and I'm not sure that any are there. There are many Canadians at Wayne State. Michigan State also takes Canadians, but the tuition is only slightly less absurd than Colorado's OOS tuition.

If you're not too concerned about coming back to Canada, lokk at some of the DO schools too just in case, but you have a good MCAT and your GPA isn't that bad at all.

BUT as always, you need to apply early as a Canadian and especially if you don't have a 3.8+/35+. Really, early means June to July but if you haven't already, get cracking as there will be secondary apps too.

Guest VwDubber
Correction, I think the closest is Wayne State, in Detroit. According to my friend who goes there, there are about 30 Canadians in his class! A sizeable amount, even though the class is huge (over 200).
i didn't realize wayne state accepted canadians. thanks for clarifying, moo.

Archived