Premed 101 Forums

Scaled up marks?

Guest DoNair

Guest DoNair

I have heard from 2 independent sources that US med schools scale UP marks from Canadian universities. Is there any truth to this? I couldn't find any official info about this.

If it is, then I could have a solid shot at doing med in the US.

Guest MekoMints

I don't think they actually scale up Canadian school marks. However, my friend attending a US school who sat on the AdCom told me that if you grades/gpa's are competitive enough to make the initial cut...then your application will be deemed more worth as some US schools do appreciate the fact that Canadian schools are in general tougher academically....though I don't know if this really applies globally.

Your grades are already "scaled" up on the AMCAS scale. For example, an 86 at UBC is considered a 4.0 on the AMCAS scale, whereas an 86 at a US school may be considered a 3.3 or something.

The grading systems in Canadian and American universities are rather different.

Almost all American universities do not give numerical marks (i.e. percentages). Instead, they only record 'grades' (A, B, C, +/-, etc.).

AMCAS only records your grades without percentages. So if UBC considers 86-90 to be an A, and 90 and above to an A+, only your letter grade counts.

Anyway, if you're applying from Canada, it's likely they're going to look over your case individually anyway.

(I'm a Canadian who attended university in the U.S.)

Archived