Premed 101 Forums

Question For Residents To Ease My Nervousness

Has any resident experienced a poor interview but still got matched to that place.

So for the Toronto ortho interview (#1 choice) interviewer asked me to teach her something in 1 min.....was not prepared for all these Canadian out of the box questions so taught her a quick 10 min. workout plan b/c that's all I could think about....she didn't seem impressed

Anyways long story short the more I think about all my interviews the poorer I think my performance was on all of them  -- has any resident matched at a place where you had a poor interview performance

Interview performance is all subjective. Sometimes some interviewers smile and nod lots, but for all you know, they could just be nice people but they're objectively scoring you low/poor on the interviews. I can't speak for all specialties, but for a lot of smaller competitive programs, the interview is basically to identify any red flags. Programs have in mind who they want pre-interview. I would stop thinking and stressing about it now because you can't do anything to change it now. Just sit back and try to keep you mind occupied until March 4.

Your opinion of your interview performance doesn't matter as much as theirs. You shouldn't be expecting positive feedback after the interviews. A workout plan sounds like an appropriate answer to the question you were posed.

Also it's Ortho. That's right up their alley. The only way you could have been more Ortho is if you called her "Bro" and then proceeded to talk about lifting.

Like everyone has said - you can't know how your interview went. That said, yes, I expect that people have matched to programs where they either feel they had a bad interview, or did have a bad interview - it just might not have been their first choice program. 

The best lesson of CaRMS - especially now that it's all over and your rank list is in anyway - is to move on to the next thing, you can't go back and do anything to change it (easier said than done)

Archived