Premed 101 Forums

Chance of getting into the Med school??

Guest anniezzang

Guest anniezzang

Hi~ I'm 3rd year student at U of T.

I have bad bad GPAs in the first two years due to many reasons probably excuses.. (2.6 and 3.0 relatively)

I had only Physics no chemistry or biology when I started at U of T 2 and half years ago.. (Organic Chemistry was my first chemistry in my life.. maybe you can imagine how tough it was for me) Although I tried hard maybe not enough, I couldn't achieve high marks..

But in my third year.. I'm more dedicated than ever with some background from the first two years and studying hard.. and I'm getting 3.94 until this moment.

I wasn't sure when I was in 1st and 2nd year but I know from the bottom of my heart that I really want to go to Med school.

Now, I'm seriously thinking if i will ever have a chance to get in.. if I do well in my 4th year and have decent MCAT score..

Could someone help me?:\

Guest wassabi101

Hi anniezzang,

What does your overall GPA stand at over the 3 years? If you total out above 3.0, you have a chance at McMaster, speaking solely from min academic requirements. If you have above 3.4-3.5, you might stand a chance at other schools. Is it a 3 year program or a 4 year program you are undertaking? Some schools only count the best or last three years out of 4. At worst, if it's a 3 year program, and if you really want to get into medicine, you might want to consider doing a Master's and bringing up your marks that way. Your MCAT scores will also count for a lot at certain schools. Go through a few potential scenarios with your marks, say with a potential 3.9 for the next year or two years, and then check up the OMSAS table for min. eligibility criteria for each school to see if you meet them academically.

If you really want to get in, I really do believe you can get in. It's a lot of work, but personally, I was in a similar situation and after a master's, and working hard to improve every other aspect of my application, I got in! It was definitely worth it too :D

Good luck and feel free to write more!

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest Elaine I

UWO only counts your best 2 years with a minimum course load of 5.0 courses (no repeats). They make interview decisions based on your best year completed at the time of application, and make entrance decisions based on your best two years, which can include your final year. That is, you could apply during your 4th year, based on your high GPA from this year, and provided you maintain the cut-off GPA during your 4th year, be okay. (Of course, that is assuming that you write the MCAT between your 3rd and 4th years, and meet the cut-offs.)

Queen's will base their interview decision based on your best two years (minimum 3.5 courses, including repeats) completed at the time of application. The cut-offs are lower than UWO. Therefore, your average of your 3rd and 4th years might be high enough. Even if not, you could apply after your 4th year is done, using your marks from your 3rd and 4th years.

Two years with a lower GPA definately don't rule out med school (or at least I'm banking on not!!). I've met with the admissions officers from the above two schools, and received reassurances that my early poor performance (much worse than your early GPA) will not be a problem.

Best wishes!

Elaine :-)

Archived