Premed 101 Forums

What would you do??

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Hey, here's a hypothetical question that I'm just putting out here for kicks (considering the tuition cost issue): I applied to McGill and U of T for med school, I'm a quebec student and I REALLY would like to go to U of T. If you were me and got accepted to both schools which would you choose? Consider the fact that McGill's tuition for Quebec students is around $5,000 whereas U of T is $16,000 and that I already have debts totalling $18,000. I know the answer seems obvious, but here's another thing I'll throw out...I applied to the MD/PhD program and there's a researcher in Toronto I really want to work for (I've already spoken with her and it would be a really good place for my PhD). this is not to say that I'll get into the program, but if I had a choice I really wouldn't know what to do. My parents keep saying that the debt is an issue, but I figure that my happiness is much more important. What do you guys think???

Guest Ian Wong

Honestly, I would put that out of your mind, and only cross that bridge if you encountered it. There's always a chance that if you decide now, that you subconsciously won't put full effort into the other schools, and I think that would be a mistake.

Also, there's just so many other factors at work. Proximity to family and friends, tuition, housing and living expenses, the character and characteristics of each city, curriculum and teaching styles, climate, etc all should and will be, factors in your decision. There's a very good chance that during your interviews, you will find one city or another more fitting with your long-term goals.

Given all this, tuition certainly IS a factor, and the cost of living in Montreal is also significantly less than in Toronto, particularly downtown Toronto. Montreal is also an amazingly fun city! But, in the long term scheme of things, you WILL be able to pay back your debt, and so looking at your long-term goals should take precedence. With that said, I would again re-iterate that this really isn't a decision that you need to make until you are put into that position. You might even find another med school which is even more compatible with your palns than either McGill or Toronto!

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest Tanya24

Hi Biochem,

In the end, I think happiness is more important. Based on reading your other posts, it sounds like you have the desire and ability to create a fruitful and ambitious career regardless of where you attend school.

My best advice is to keep an open mind and trust your gut. In the end, if your decision feels "right", it probably is. Remember you still have 6 months until you have to decide.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck!

Happiness wins hands-down baby! Yes, I realize that there is a significant difference between 5000 and 16000. And yes, you will be in debt (like many med students!), but you'll pay it off (really people, who's ever heard of a 'poor, starving doctor') and you will be happy with what you have achieved and the path that has led you to that point.

Guest therealcrackers

If you get into the MD/PhD program at U of T, there are PMAC grants that cover $20K worth of tuition and living expenses for each year of your program (or at least there were last time I checked)... and since graduate tuition is still a lot lower, for the intervening years when you're doing your grad work, you can actually get by fairly well without compounding your debt.

Something else to stir the pot.

Guest strider2004

If you have a flexibile personality, then you will find happiness whereever you are. One city won't make or break you. They are both nice cities and this is only for 4 years. You could always go somewhere else for residency and even after that, you could settled down across the country if you wanted to.

I didn't feel that Kignston had very much to offer me when I first came here but now it feels like home. I think you'll find that too.

Guest Biochem10

Thanks for your comments. I really do know what I would choose, but I guess it's the feeling of waiting that has been really bothering me lately. I've always planned everything well in advance and this is unfortunately one thing that is out of my control. It's not just a money issue because I have seen the CIHR scholarships (although, aren't those only for the PhD and clerkship years?). The biggest issue is where I would be happiest doing research. I've had the opportunity to work in labs at both McGill and U of T and I think the research environment at U of T is better. Do you think I would be crazy to turn down McGill's MD/PhD in favor of doing grad school at U of T and then applying to the MD program at a later time??? I've been seriously considering this given I don't get into to U of T's combined program. I guess I should stop thinking about this now and get on with studying for finals!

Guest ioncannon97

I can appreciate the fact that you really like U of T and that this is largely a personal decision you need to make yourself. But, as per the question in your last post, I think the answer is yes, you would be crazy to turn down MD/Phd at Mcgill for grad school in U of T in hopes of getting into Md/Phd there later. Just my two cents, and I haven't attended either University but could U of T really be THAT much better. I've always heard that Mcgill was really good school. Anyways, like I said, this is a personal decision so just go with you instinct.

Guest me maniac

1st: yes, you would be crazy to turn down a MD/PhD acceptance (anywhere!) in favour of a PhD (even at U of T!) if what you really want to do is an MD (which is what it sounds like to me). If they do the type of research at McGill that is in your area of interest, then you should go there if they give you an offer.

2nd: The money issue thing becomes complex only if your parents are helping you foot the bill. If they have other kids they are putting through school, it wouldn't be fair to give you the lion's share of their income while your sibbling gets the meager scraps. They also have to think about their retirement.... are they going to have to put in on hold if they shell out $16,000 for U of T each year? However, if you are prepared to foot the bill your self, only YOU can decide if the advantage of going to U of T will outweigh an enormous debt load at the end.

3rd: I'm not really sure why you are so worried about it at this point, as you have not been offered a place at either university! You need to get your mind on other things.

me

Guest strider2004

I'll give you a word of advice that a former potential research supervisor once told me: "If you get into med school, take it. Grad school will always be there for you. But medicine, getting in once doesn't mean that you will get in again."

Guest UWOMED2005

First, I'll reiterate what's been said: wait until you come to that bridge before making a decision on how to cross it.

That being said, if I were you I'd take McGill over U of T. Canadian med schools are pretty even across the board. . . there's both great and awful teachers and experiences at each school. And while you can always pay the extra cost off, sounds like you'd save quite a significant amount by going to McGill, and I think that's as good a criterion as any in this case.

And if you are really concerned about school reputations, my understanding is that despite years of cuts and a PQ government, internationally McGill is still Canada's most well known school. And while anyone who reads my posts knows I put about as much faith in school rankings as I do in the Atlanta Thrasher's chances of winning the Stanley Cup this year, the only report that ranks Canadian Medical schools that I know of, the Gourman Report, consistently ranks McGill (score of 4.91, one of the top 5 schools in the world) above U of T (score of 4.90, one of the top 10 schools in the world.)

But as I said, this would probably be a matter of choosing apples and oranges, so don't worry about it until you hear back from each school.

Archived