Premed 101 Forums

Question

Guest sandi2000

Guest sandi2000

Hi everybody! I was just wondering if Canada had any programs that go into medical training straight out of high school (6 year program instead of 4 years pre-med and another 4 in med school)? Any information would be greatly appreciated!:)

Guest Ian Wong

Nope. There are schools in the US which do that, but in Canada, there is no direct entry into medical school from high school.

There are extremely rare cases of students getting into Canadian med schools after only two years of undergrad (I think this is possible at McMaster and Calgary), but you should bank on doing at least three years of an undergrad degree, and most likely the full four years before you get accepted into a Canadian med school. There's a lot of fun things to do, and things to see and learn about in undergrad; definitely try to make the most of that time! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest UWOMED2005

The one exception missed is Quebec, where the Med-P program allows entry into medicine straight from CEGEP upon completion of a one year Premed course. But you have to have completed CEGEP, meaning there's no shot at the Med-P program if you're from Quebec.

Outside of Quebec, opportunities for getting into medicine from High School are de nada.

Guest therealcrackers

You need three years of undergrad for a McMaster application.

Schools in the UK, France, Germany, etc. follow the direct-from-high school route (Canada, the US, and the Caribbean, plus I think Australia are the only ones who require some undergraduate first). However! More and more of the universities will likely be adopting the McGill standard of a completed undergraduate degree before accepting applicants to medical school (in the near future).

Guest medicator007

Just a clarification vis a vis McGill.. because some may find the UWOMed2005 and Crackers' comments to be contradictory.

There are TWO separate streams of admission:

- Med-p (Premed) who come straight out of CEGEP and complete a preparatory year of basic science before entering medicine. Their entry is based solely on CEGEP CRC (akin to GPA), letter and interview.... they do NOT have to take the MCAT...>:

-For all others who wish to enter McGill Medicine a completed undergraduate degree is required. Though u can apply in the last year of ur degree.

Just to prevent some potential confusion!

Medicator

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I had a family friend who got into U of A after his second year, but this was well over a decade ago. I thought they had changed the fules since then, but I guess not. In undergrad, he got an A+ in 9 of his 10 courses, and an A in the last course. :)

While I was in undergrad at UVic, I had a friend in my year who got into McMaster Med after her second year of undergrad here at UVic. I suppose she might have had third year status because of taking extra courses/AP credits/that sort of thing, but she did get into McMaster after only two years of undergrad. She had some seriously crazy things on her CV which I'm sure opened up the doors as well.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived